Doubt in Piezo-electricity

by Young Learner
Tags: phyics, piezoelectricity
Share this thread:
Young Learner
Jul5-13, 09:02 AM
P: 41
Hi,

What would be the voltage developed across a Piezo-electric crystal, say Quartz of size 15 cm-length, width and 2 cm thickness, If I stand on it. My weight is around 75 kg :)

I have no idea how to calculate it.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Engineers develop new sensor to detect tiny individual nanoparticles
Tiny particles have big potential in debate over nuclear proliferation
Ray tracing and beyond
Bobbywhy
Jul5-13, 10:36 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,909
That depends on the type of crystal. Some examples are given for Barium Titanate, one of the most common, here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Piezoelectricity

I don't know how or where to find the information you ask for.
NascentOxygen
Jul6-13, 03:37 AM
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 5,361
Quote Quote by Young Learner View Post
Hi,

What would be the voltage developed across a Piezo-electric crystal, say Quartz of size 15 cm-length, width and 2 cm thickness, If I stand on it.
That sized crystal is probably useful only as a doorstop.

Bobbywhy
Jul6-13, 04:29 AM
PF Gold
Doubt in Piezo-electricity

Young Learner,

There is a way you could find the voltage generated by your weight on that quartz slab: measure it!

A biologist here in Brasil told me that certain insects, especially some ant species, were attracted by electrostatic fields. I amassed more than 100 rose quartz crystals and built a large circular arch with them using silicone adhesive to steady the individual crystals. This configuration caused the bottom-most crystal to be under the most physical stress owing to the weight above it, and thereby generated a large electrostatic field. The effect decreased all the way to the uppermost "keystone" crystal at the top center of the arch. I set the arch out in my yard and waited. Soon a large swarm of army ants passed through my yard but did not seem to loiter on or around my arch. Later, leafcutter ants carrying leaf parts back to their underground fungus gardens stopped and lingered at the base of the arch. For weeks some of the leafcutters milled about the base of my quartz crystal arch. My observations are: the arch was electrically charged, higher voltage at the base. Those ants noticed it and seemed to like it.

Perhaps you could place your quartz slab outside, place a heavy weight on it, and see if it attracts ants.
Young Learner
Jul6-13, 09:19 PM
P: 41
Quote Quote by Bobbywhy View Post
Young Learner,

There is a way you could find the voltage generated by your weight on that quartz slab: measure it!

A biologist here in Brasil told me that certain insects, especially some ant species, were attracted by electrostatic fields. I amassed more than 100 rose quartz crystals and built a large circular arch with them using silicone adhesive to steady the individual crystals. This configuration caused the bottom-most crystal to be under the most physical stress owing to the weight above it, and thereby generated a large electrostatic field. The effect decreased all the way to the uppermost "keystone" crystal at the top center of the arch. I set the arch out in my yard and waited. Soon a large swarm of army ants passed through my yard but did not seem to loiter on or around my arch. Later, leafcutter ants carrying leaf parts back to their underground fungus gardens stopped and lingered at the base of the arch. For weeks some of the leafcutters milled about the base of my quartz crystal arch. My observations are: the arch was electrically charged, higher voltage at the base. Those ants noticed it and seemed to like it.

Perhaps you could place your quartz slab outside, place a heavy weight on it, and see if it attracts ants.
Thanks,

1. How much voltage did your electricity develop?

2. How much did the quartz crystal cost you?
Bobbywhy
Jul6-13, 10:40 PM
PF Gold
You are welcome. I never put my digital voltmeter onto the crystals under stress, so I can't answer that.

I bought the beautiful pink (rose) quartz crystals directly from the miners who dug them out of the mountainsides in North Central Brasil. What I paid those miners would not be relevant unless you lived nearby.

You can find lots of quartz crystals for sale at mineral shows. The closer to the source, the cheaper they are!

Read up here! Nearly everything anyone would want to know about quartz deposits, etc. world-wide: http://www.minsocam.org/msa/collecto.../quartzdep.htm

Register to reply