Register to reply

My wife just mixed bleach and 409...

by elegysix
Tags: bleach, mixed, wife
Share this thread:
elegysix
Jul7-13, 12:50 AM
P: 316
That's right. Half a bottle of 409 (dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride) and the other half bleach. The bottle started getting hot, so I put it outside for now. The question is, what abomination is in that bottle? Am I dealing with chlorine gas? Thanks for any answers.
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Novel 'butterfly' molecule could build new sensors, photoenergy conversion devices
Rubber meets the road with new ORNL carbon, battery technologies
Breaking benzene
jedishrfu
Jul7-13, 12:55 AM
P: 2,979
Any chemical mix with bleach is a bad combination:

http://chemistry.about.com/od/toxicc...nd-Ammonia.htm

I had a friend do this and his wife, a nurse nearly killed him. I was really surprised as he was an engineer with a fairly rigorous background but I guess not in chemistry. This is one example of what you don't know can truly kill you.
elegysix
Jul7-13, 01:06 AM
thanks for the reply. My old lady was saying that it isn't bad because ammonium isn't ammonia. do you know if that small technicality makes a difference?

colliflour
Jul7-13, 02:20 AM
P: 20
My wife just mixed bleach and 409...

Yes, I believe you're dealing with chlorine gas. The 409 likely lowered the pH of the bleach's buffer solution which will allow chlorine to come out of solution.
elegysix
Jul7-13, 03:48 AM
thanks!
maltman
Jul8-13, 01:11 PM
P: 8
well, 409 spray cleaner is not really dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride, it is a mixture of ingredient
it contains mostly water, then a mixture of surfactants (nonionic and cationic) and a proprietary mixture of solvents, alkyl dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride @0.3% and Lauryldimethylamine oxide @1.0%, ph adjusters, fragrance and dye. The 0.3% is sufficient for surface disinfection.
Clorox doesn't recommend mixing it with anything,

Mixing anything with bleach is risky,
However for severe cleaning I do use a mixture of double strength "Bleach" and potassium hydroxide (potassium lye).
chemisttree
Jul8-13, 10:22 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,724
Quote Quote by maltman View Post
well, 409 spray cleaner is not really dimethyl benzyl ammonium chloride, it is a mixture of ingredient
it contains mostly water, then a mixture of surfactants (nonionic and cationic) and a proprietary mixture of solvents...
Proprietary mixture of solvents = butyl cellosolve (ethylene glycol monobutyl ether)

Edit: That's wrong. It looks like Chlorox reformulated 409 without EB and they are now using ethanolamine. That explains the reaction with bleach. It made the monochloramine of ethanolamine and perhaps a bit of the dichloramine. It is also possible the alcohol end was oxidized to the carboxylate. Likely non-volatile and would act as a pretty good disinfectant. If the OP complained of irritating gases, perhaps chlorine is the culprit.

Register to reply