Register to reply

What are the most promising research studies on cancer's cure?

by Tosh5457
Tags: cancer, cure, promising, research, studies
Share this thread:
Tosh5457
Jul7-13, 05:34 PM
P: 239
Every now and then, a news appears saying a new research could revert cancer on mice or something similar. But then I don't hear about them anymore. So what are the most promising research studies on curing cancer, and were there any promising researches before that failed when tested on humans?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
American Ebola doc: 'I am thrilled to be alive'
Instant noodles carry health risks for women: study
Extracorporeal support can significantly increase number of organs for transplant
Evo
Jul7-13, 10:49 PM
Mentor
P: 26,527
Quote Quote by Tosh5457 View Post
Every now and then, a news appears saying a new research could revert cancer on mice or something similar. But then I don't hear about them anymore. So what are the most promising research studies on curing cancer, and were there any promising researches before that failed when tested on humans?
The problem is that each cancer is different and responds to different treatments. What might work for one type won't work for another. Take lung cancer for example, there are two types and they are treated differently.

Yes, there have been treatments that initially looked promising that failed. Too many to go into. Your questions are much too broad.
Monique
Jul8-13, 01:44 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Studies that wanted to trigger the immune system to recognize cancer cells were promising, but haven't received too much success. Now people are focussing on characterizing tumors based on their mutated genes and personalizing medicine based on that.

Ygggdrasil
Jul8-13, 02:22 PM
Other Sci
Sci Advisor
P: 1,385
What are the most promising research studies on cancer's cure?

Perhaps some of the most effective "treatments" are the interventions that prevent the cancers from occurring in the first place. For example, public policy discouraging smoking has greatly reduced the incidence of lung cancer and the HPV vaccine will likely reduce the incidence of cervical cancer in the future.
Tosh5457
Jul16-13, 11:46 AM
P: 239
The problem is that each cancer is different and responds to different treatments. What might work for one type won't work for another. Take lung cancer for example, there are two types and they are treated differently.
Nonetheless they all have some characteristics in common.

Quote Quote by Evo View Post

Yes, there have been treatments that initially looked promising that failed. Too many to go into. Your questions are much too broad.
What do you mean by "initially looked promising"? Where they successful on mice, or just in vitro? I realize I may be very naive, but I'm actually very much ignorant about this subject.

Here are some of the examples I'm speaking about, all successfully tested on mice:
http://munews.missouri.edu/news-rele...mu-researcher/
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0628155300.htm
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/s...e-therapy.html

Register to reply