Optics Question: How do I clean polar sheets?

In summary, the conversation is about a person working on an amateur astronomy project and looking for information on how to clean old linear polarized sheets. They ask if warm water or cleaning solution would work and someone recommends determining the material of the sheets first before cleaning. They also provide a link to a guide on figuring out the type of material and suggest using dry air from a computer or camera store to clean the sheets.
piareround
So right now I am working on an amature astronomy project to develop a simple lab about the sun's declination. I am borrowing the cheapets linear polarized sheets that I could find ...
Because they are least 10 - 15 years old, I would really like to clean them, but I don't know what to use because I don't know who made them.

Are there any astronomer out there who know what you could generally use to clean linear polarizers? Will warm water or cleaning solution work? If so what kind?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
You need to determine exactly what your sheets are made of before cleaning them. Here is a great overview to help you figure that out:

http://www.filmforever.org/filmforever.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Assuming it is a typical film sheet polarizer the surface should not be touched, only air cleaned. A can of dry air that you get from a computer or camera store should suffice.

1. What is the best method for cleaning polar sheets?

The best method for cleaning polar sheets is to use a mild detergent and warm water. Avoid using harsh chemicals or bleach as it can damage the polarized coating on the sheets.

2. Can I use a washing machine to clean polar sheets?

It is not recommended to use a washing machine to clean polar sheets as the agitation and high heat can damage the polarized coating. Hand washing is the preferred method.

3. How often should I clean my polar sheets?

It is recommended to clean polar sheets every few weeks or whenever they appear dirty. This will help maintain the effectiveness of the polarized coating and keep your sheets looking their best.

4. Can I use a fabric softener when washing polar sheets?

No, fabric softeners can leave a residue on the polarized coating which can reduce its effectiveness. It is best to avoid using any fabric softeners when washing polar sheets.

5. How should I dry my polar sheets after washing?

It is best to air dry polar sheets or use a low heat setting on a dryer. High heat can damage the polarized coating and cause shrinkage. Avoid wringing or twisting the sheets as this can also damage the coating.