Centripetal Acceleration

by oneplusone
Tags: centripetal
Share this thread:
oneplusone
Jul9-13, 06:29 PM
P: 127
Hello, my textbook says that the magnitude
of centripetal acceleration is equal to the sum of the forces acting on that object.
(this is in regard to an object in a circular path, by a string. See https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/c/c9/Centripetal_force_diagram.svg/220px-Centripetal_force_diagram.svg.png for an example)

I was wondering why is this so? To me, it doesn't make sense that they are equal in magnitude, since the forces are perpendicular.

Please help.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Optimum inertial self-propulsion design for snowman-like nanorobot
The Quantum Cheshire Cat: Can neutrons be located at a different place than their own spin?
A transistor-like amplifier for single photons
rcgldr
Jul9-13, 06:49 PM
HW Helper
P: 7,035
Quote Quote by oneplusone View Post
My textbook says that the magnitude of centripetal acceleration is equal to the sum of the forces acting on that object.
Only the sum of forces component that is perpendicular to the path of an object results in centripetal acceleration. The sum of forces component in the direction of the path of an object results in tangental acceleration.
oneplusone
Jul9-13, 07:18 PM
So could you please briefly describe how will you solve for Tension? generically?

rcgldr
Jul9-13, 09:24 PM
HW Helper
Centripetal Acceleration

Quote Quote by oneplusone View Post
So could you please briefly describe how will you solve for Tension? generically?
The link to the diagram isn't working for me. In what direction is the string rotating, horizontally or vertically or .... ?
oneplusone
Jul10-13, 07:43 AM
Try here.
rcgldr
Jul10-13, 07:59 AM
HW Helper
Looking at that diagram, there are no other forces acting on the mass other than centripetal force, which equals m v^2 / r or m ω^2 r. The centripetal acceleration would be v^2 / r or ω^2 r.

Register to reply