The effects of Anodize and Chemfilm

• Thread starter VALLERA
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Effects
In summary, the discussion is about the potential effects of breathing in particles from Anodize and Chemfilm, which are used in the process of anodizing and chemfilming aluminum sand casting parts. The individual in the conversation has noticed a rash on their face and neck after handling these particles and is seeking information on the potential risks of working with these chemicals. The concerns raised include the use of a face mask and the possibility of creating a dust containing nickel and chromium VI. It is advised to take caution and avoid being covered in metal dust during the sanding process.
VALLERA
I want to know the effect of breathing Anodize and Chemfilm particles. The part I work with is made of aluminum sand casting which gets anodized and chemfilmed after being machined. I have to hand polish the inside of the part with sand paper. So in total i sand about .0015 of the Anodize. I do not use a face mask cause I have problems breathing with it. I blow the dust with a air hose making all the particles fly into the air. I end up getting it all over my face, arms, and hair. I noticed that my face and neck started breaking out in a rash. I've never been told the effects of these chemicles and just wanted a helpful understanding of what I am working with. Also sometimes I touch up some parts with Chemfilm. Sometimes it gets alittle messy and I end up getting the chemfilm all over my hands. Is this harmful?

Biology news on Phys.org
Sometimes an aluminum anodizing is sealed with nickel acetate after the dying step. Nickel is very allergenic, so when you sand the anodizing it is possible that you are creating a finely-divided dust containing nickel.

I'm not sure about your chemfilm but if it is Alodine then it contains chromium VI which is carcinogenic. There should be cautionary labeling with the product or, if you are in the US, you should have the MSDS avaliable to help you assess the risks you are taking working with that product.

It is never a good idea to become covered in metal dust... even aluminum oxide/aluminum and I would change the way I handled the parts you sand if I were you.

Thank you for your answer. I am going to look into the chemfilm contents and take it from there.

1. What is the difference between anodize and chemfilm?

Anodize is an electrolytic process used to create a protective oxide layer on metals, while chemfilm is a chemical conversion coating that creates a protective film on the surface of a metal.

2. What are the benefits of anodize and chemfilm?

Anodize and chemfilm both provide corrosion resistance and increase the durability of the metal. They also improve the appearance of the metal and can be used as a base for paint or other coatings.

3. Are there any environmental concerns with anodize and chemfilm?

Anodize and chemfilm processes do not produce any harmful byproducts or emissions. However, some chemicals used in these processes may be hazardous if not handled properly.

4. Can anodize and chemfilm be applied to all types of metals?

Anodize can be applied to a wide range of metals, including aluminum, titanium, and magnesium. Chemfilm is typically used on aluminum and its alloys.

5. How do the effects of anodize and chemfilm compare to other types of metal coatings?

Anodize and chemfilm are considered more environmentally friendly compared to other types of metal coatings, such as plating or painting. They also provide better corrosion resistance and can be applied in thinner layers, resulting in a lighter weight metal part.