Register to reply

A stab wound from a single edged weapon. How to identify?

by sameeralord
Tags: edged, identify, single, stab, weapon, wound
Share this thread:
sameeralord
Jul13-13, 05:37 AM
P: 640
Hello,

Here is single edged knife.

Consider
spine= blunt end
blade belly = sharp cutting edge

Here is the wound

Now the really pointed end at the left side of the wound, is it created by blade tip or the blade belly (sharp cutting edge). This might be obvious but I'm bit confused at how this wound is created, when I look at double edged wounds. Thanks

Double edged left, single edged right.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
New tuberculosis blood test in children is reliable and highly specific
Invisible blood in urine may indicate bladder cancer
Colombian president: No link of vaccine to illness
256bits
Jul13-13, 06:43 AM
P: 1,484
Is this for forensics analysis of knife wounds?
Your motive might be questioned if there is any legalities involved.

A knife can be used to stab, slash, or cut.
Subsequently, the wound can be either a stabbing wound, a slashing wound or an incised wound.

You have to check depth and length of wound to narrow further down.
SW VandeCarr
Jul13-13, 05:57 PM
P: 2,501
Quote Quote by sameeralord View Post
Hello,

Consider
spine= blunt end
blade belly = sharp cutting edge

Here is the wound

Now the really pointed end at the left side of the wound, is it created by blade tip or the blade belly (sharp cutting edge). This might be obvious but I'm bit confused at how this wound is created, when I look at double edged wounds. Thanks

Double edged left, single edged right.
Do you mean this wound looks double-edged to you?. It was created from a single edged knife, as you can tell from the sharpness of the nearer extremity of the wound. Perhaps you were thinking one wound edge should be more ragged, but the skin has separated and wound edges have become more stretched out, reducing the contrast between the two edges. You don't see this in clay. If you looked at this under magnification, I think you could tell the difference between the wound edges.

Solcielo L
Jul13-13, 08:18 PM
P: 25
A stab wound from a single edged weapon. How to identify?

It appears to have been created with a small single edge knife. The puncture doesn't look very deep. Some adipose tissue appears to be visible.

Register to reply