Infinite Integration of Fick's Second Law

by DiffUser2349
Tags: diffusion, fick, integration, second law
Share this thread:
DiffUser2349
Jul14-13, 01:57 PM
P: 2
Hi everyone!

Recently, I've been trying to understand how the error function pertains to solving for concentration in a non-steady state case (with a constant diffusivity D), but I've been having some trouble with the initial assumptions. The source I am currently using (Crank's The Mathematics of Diffusion) claims that, for a the case of a plane source,

C = A/sqrt(t) * exp(-(x^2)/4Dt)

Where C is the concentration (with respect to position and time), x is the position (assuming one dimension only), t is the time, and A is an arbitrary constant, which is a solution for Fick's Second Law (dC/dt = D (d2C/dx2)). Crank (as well another source I've been using <http://www.eng.utah.edu/~lzang/images/lecture-4.pdf>) claim that this is solvable by integrating Fick's Second Law, but whether I am making a mistake or otherwise not understanding the concept, I can't seem to get this result to work. Could someone help me with this, either by providing the math, or a source which has this derivation? Thanks again.

Edit: I put this post in General Physics, feeling it would be a bit more suitable. Now, I can't seem to delete this thread. How would I go about it? If I cannot by myself, can the moderators? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Identifying long-distance threats: New 3D technology could improve CCTV images
Intelligent system that predicts when alarms might be triggered could greatly improve the management of industrial plant
3D printed nose wins design award

Register to reply