Infinite Integration of Fick's Second Law

by DiffUser2349
Tags: diffusion, fick, integration, second law
Share this thread:
DiffUser2349
Jul14-13, 01:57 PM
P: 2
Hi everyone!

Recently, I've been trying to understand how the error function pertains to solving for concentration in a non-steady state case (with a constant diffusivity D), but I've been having some trouble with the initial assumptions. The source I am currently using (Crank's The Mathematics of Diffusion) claims that, for a the case of a plane source,

C = A/sqrt(t) * exp(-(x^2)/4Dt)

Where C is the concentration (with respect to position and time), x is the position (assuming one dimension only), t is the time, and A is an arbitrary constant, which is a solution for Fick's Second Law (dC/dt = D (d2C/dx2)). Crank (as well another source I've been using <http://www.eng.utah.edu/~lzang/images/lecture-4.pdf>) claim that this is solvable by integrating Fick's Second Law, but whether I am making a mistake or otherwise not understanding the concept, I can't seem to get this result to work. Could someone help me with this, either by providing the math, or a source which has this derivation? Thanks again.

Edit: I put this post in General Physics, feeling it would be a bit more suitable. Now, I can't seem to delete this thread. How would I go about it? If I cannot by myself, can the moderators? Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Researchers discover cool-burning flames in space, could lead to better engines on earth (w/ Video)
Professors object to FAA restrictions on drone use
UConn makes 3-D copies of antique instrument parts

Register to reply