Help, they are eating all my bacteria

by DarioC
Tags: bacteria, eating
DarioC
Jul15-13, 07:39 PM
P: 187
A while back we were discussing the microscopic life that I had grown in a jar from a sample from my backyard mulch pile. I was enjoying using a nice surplus Nikon microscope from UC Davis, CA to check out all the different creatures that were coming to life in the material in a jar with some clean water.

Someone asked me if I could take a photo and I couldn't because I didn't have an adequate camera. Just recently having bought a nice new Nikon D3100 I wanted to try it with the microscope but the least expensive adapter I could find was $95. Hesitation on that one.

So I just put the camera on a pretty nice tripod that I have from my old film shooting days and lined it up with the microscope eyepiece as well as possible.

If I can get the attachment function to work for me here is the result.
Attached Thumbnails
Elaphonema crop 006.jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Chickens to chili peppers: Scientists search for the first genetic engineers
The malaria pathogen's cellular skeleton under a super-microscope
Deadly human pathogen Cryptococcus fully sequenced
aroc91
Jul16-13, 09:18 AM
P: 159
Great picture!
DarioC
Jul16-13, 11:35 PM
P: 187
Thanks. Everything was up in the air (literally in this case) on that shot. I've been doing photography for 60 years and that was probably the most difficult photo I have ever taken. Too many variables, several changing at the same time. Some concern of damaging either the camera or the scope was involved too.

Proved it could be done that way, but next time it will be with an adapter.

I'm sure I can get better lighting, color, and contrast with some cross lighting and a better setup. Those little guys do not like to hold still very long; no wonder the photos online are not very good.

Real challenge would be to get a stopped action shot of the little "sweepers" on their head that they use for sucking in food. I think we may be talking of getting a flash to work thru the condenser to provide enough light at a high shutter speed.

Meantime a second bunch of those little dudes are taking over my other sample jar. Chuckle.

DC

heartgann
Jul19-13, 01:15 AM
P: 1

Help, they are eating all my bacteria

That's so nice. It's nice to know that something you have tried is very amusing and yeah experiments starts there. You get to know so many things when results started to become visible.

Register to reply