Tags: earthquakes
Share this thread:
davenn
Jul21-13, 10:15 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,666
hi Gang :)

interesting set of earthquakes in the central NZ region in Cook Strait, between the 2 main islands

the last M6+ event that I recall in this area ( and almost in the same spot) was a 6.2 in the 1980's. This a complex tectonic region where there is a change from oblique slip across the South Island changing to a subduction zone under the northeastern most corner of the South Island and under the North Island.
These events have occurred in the centre of that zone and appear to delineate a fault striking approx. NW-SE. The USGS moment tensor supports this conclusion.

I was in Christchurch, some 400km to the SW at the time of the M5.7 ( the first event) but didn't feel it. It would appear that only a few people in Christchurch felt the M6.5.
The first event (M5.7) was preceded by several foreshocks of ~M1.5 - M2.5 in the 2 day before the event. The 5.7, 5.8 and 6.5 had their own good set of aftershocks so far totally in excess of 300 events.
Unfortunately my digital seismograph computer decided to have a hard drive failure at the time of the M6.5 so am unable to show you a seismogram of the event.

Regards
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
2013-07 Cook Str. Events.JPG  
Phys.Org News Partner Earth sciences news on Phys.org
256bits
Jul25-13, 10:29 PM
P: 1,484
the last M6+ event that I recall in this area ( and almost in the same spot) was a 6.2 in the 1980's. This a complex tectonic region where there is a change from oblique slip across the South Island changing to a subduction zone under the northeastern most corner of the South Island and under the North Island
So does that mean that NZ is getting smaller, and the two isalnds will evenually meet up. Is the Cook Straight a result of the subduction. I am just wondering if the two islands have relative motion to one another or are experiencing uplift or whatnot.

Unfortunately my digital seismograph computer decided ...
At home I assume. That is interesting. I always had the idea to set something up but never ever got around to it. I am now having moments of regret.
StevieTNZ
Jul25-13, 10:39 PM
PF Gold
P: 809
There is more discussion over the recent earthquakes here - http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=702290

I'm based in a suburb of Lower Hutt; ~8-10 minutes drive from Wellington.

davenn
Jul26-13, 09:24 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
NZ Earthquakes

Hi 256

Quote Quote by 256bits View Post
So does that mean that NZ is getting smaller, and the two isalnds will evenually meet up. Is the Cook Straight a result of the subduction. I am just wondering if the two islands have relative motion to one another or are experiencing uplift or whatnot.
Both the North and South Islands are under compression but by different methods. As a result they are both shortening in they East-West dimension

in the above image, Nth Is. cross-section the tectonics motion is primarily subduction with a bit of a strike slip component. Most of that subduction shortening is taken up by the uplift of the coastal ranges ( east coast) through reverse faulting. A lot of that east coast material (land) is Pacific seafloor that has been accreted to the Nth Is mainland.

In this cross-section of the Sth Is., the tectonics is oblique slipping its roughly a 3:1 ratio. That is for every 3 metres of horizontal motion there's ~ 1 metre of vertical motion.
The Southern Alps mountain chain is one of the youngest in the world at ~ 5 - 8 million years.
Prior to then there was extensional tectonics across the Sth Is., resulting in a lot of volcanism

At home I assume. That is interesting. I always had the idea to set something up but never ever got around to it. I am now having moments of regret.
Yes at home. have a look here for info my system

cheers
Dave
davenn
Jul26-13, 09:38 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Quote Quote by StevieTNZ View Post
There is more discussion over the recent earthquakes here - http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=702290

I'm based in a suburb of Lower Hutt; ~8-10 minutes drive from Wellington.
yeah I happened to see that the other day :)
that discussion would have probably been better off in the earth forum ;)
I always wondered when in NZ you were

Dave
davenn
Jul26-13, 09:45 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Dangit, only just got my online seismo running for several days and my www site host decides to do some changes to their servers and now the images are not uploading.
Am still fighting with them trying to sort it out.

Dave
StevieTNZ
Jul28-13, 11:00 PM
PF Gold
Didn't feel this morning's 5.4.
davenn
Jul29-13, 01:30 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
deep sleeper huh ;)

I see the USGS only gave it a M4.9, but they are often quite low in their magnitudes for NZ events

and a M4.7 in upper Canterbury this afternoon

cheers
Dave
StevieTNZ
Aug1-13, 02:29 PM
PF Gold
Have made a recent posting regarding the two 4.9 earthquakes that have struck within 24 hours of each other: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=702290

Didn't feel today's one, just after 1am.
billiards
Aug1-13, 06:45 PM
P: 748
Hi Dave,

I was struck by the difference in tectonic regime between the N and S islands in your diagrams. After looking into it seems as though New Zealand is the stage of an epic battle between the Pacific and the Australian plates! They are colliding and are fighting to remain afloat. To the North the Australian plate is winning, but to the south the Pacific remains afloat.

davenn
Aug1-13, 07:38 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Hi Billiards

yes, NZ is a geologists "field of dreams" or is that nirvana ? LOL
I loved doing my geology studies there, there's just so much variety packed into such a small landmass

and yes something I didn't point out was in the lowest corner South Island and further down south through the Puysegur - Macquarie trench, the subduction returns but in the opposite direction compared to the North Island, as can be see by the B-B' cross-section.
The subduction zone there dips very steeply just a few degrees (~15) off the vertical. I personally don't know of another such steeply dipping zone.

cheers
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
19930810 M72 Fiord2.jpg  
billiards
Aug2-13, 08:10 AM
P: 748
Wow that really is steep. I guess that means its a mature subduction zone. So is the theory that it will eventually detach and subduction of the Pacific plate will takeover?
StevieTNZ
Aug15-13, 09:44 PM
PF Gold
Just had two severe ones.

First one 6.2, 8km deep followed by a 5.7 8km deep. Data being revised. First it was 6.9 at 12km deep.
davenn
Aug15-13, 09:47 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
yup its coming in on my seismo here in Sydney as we speak

http://www.sydneystormcity.com/sydln.gif

and unlike the previous ones in this region over the last month ... these ones are on land only a few km's from the Seddon township :(
Dave
StevieTNZ
Aug15-13, 09:48 PM
PF Gold
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/9051...al-New-Zealand
StevieTNZ
Aug15-13, 10:00 PM
PF Gold
Am noticing a lot of small aftershocks. Lets hope there is no more big one.
Evo
Aug15-13, 10:02 PM
Mentor
P: 26,557
Hold on Stevie!!!!
davenn
Aug15-13, 10:02 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
a quick little graphic I whipped up

for non-New Zealanders, this is the NE tip of the South Island of NZ