Earth From Space Documentary

by edward
Tags: documentary, earth, space
Share this thread:
edward
Jul22-13, 04:39 PM
PF Gold
P: 875
I original posted this in GD. It may be more appreciated here. It is a lot more than just pictures.

It is long so get a drink and a some snacks before starting to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqojtGWIsww
Phys.Org News Partner Earth sciences news on Phys.org
256bits
Jul25-13, 10:41 PM
P: 1,414
I thought I saw Luke Sywalker on his camel-thing in the beginning and a scene of a sand storm from Scorpian King. Two movies in one!! Popcorn here we go.

Nova usually is quite good. Thanks.
edward
Jul26-13, 10:39 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by 256bits View Post
I thought I saw Luke Sywalker on his camel-thing in the beginning and a scene of a sand storm from Scorpian King. Two movies in one!! Popcorn here we go.

Nova usually is quite good. Thanks.
It is one of the best Nova science documentaries I have seen. For starters:

Satellite data is transformed into visual sequences that detail the interwoven forces that sustain life on Earth. Included: how dust from the Sahara fertilizes the Amazon; how a vast underwater "waterfall" off Antarctica helps drive ocean currents.

davenn
Jul27-13, 01:12 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,486
Earth From Space Documentary

Hi edward

just finished watching that doco .... very good :)

thanks for sharing the link

and here's another good one from the Nova

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGKKzsRjJ_Y

a doco on the Earths magnetic field

Dave
edward
Jul27-13, 02:47 PM
PF Gold
Thanks Dave
JesseC
Jul28-13, 05:22 PM
P: 281
I was surprised to see that this documentry was in part funded by the David H. Koch foundation. Wonder if he knows that his money is being used to fund programs that support anthropogenic global warming.

Apart from that, very enjoyable.
edward
Jul28-13, 08:52 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by JesseC View Post
I was surprised to see that this documentry was in part funded by the David H. Koch foundation. Wonder if he knows that his money is being used to fund programs that support anthropogenic global warming.

Apart from that, very enjoyable.
"Earth From Space" was not really about global warming not to mention AGW. Warming and it's effects were briefly mentioned. So was cooling. Koch funds a lot of PBS science programs.
JesseC
Jul29-13, 04:15 AM
P: 281
I didn't say it was about AGW, I said it supported it. If you watch from 1hr 46min to 1hr 52min it does support AGW explicitly. But this is all beside the point, great imagery and generally very good explanations for the global circulation patterns and explanations of the 'earth system'.
edward
Jul29-13, 02:20 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by JesseC View Post
I didn't say it was about AGW, I said it supported it. If you watch from 1hr 46min to 1hr 52min it does support AGW explicitly. But this is all beside the point, great imagery and generally very good explanations for the global circulation patterns and explanations of the 'earth system'.
I can agree with that.

Register to reply