Register to reply

Aluminium has no negatively charged particles?

by FoundAlaska
Tags: aluminium, charge, electrons, schottky
Share this thread:
FoundAlaska
Jul26-13, 04:21 AM
P: 1
Q: "A graduate student tells you that he has observed a Schottky defect in a sample of pure aluminium. Explain why it may take a long time for this graduate student to get his Ph.D"

A: "Pure aluminium has no negatively charged particles, so a Schottky effect can not occur."

So I know a Schottky effect is when both an anion (-) and a cation (+) dissappear together out of a material (both because it has to remain neutral). What I don't understand is why aluminium does not have negatively charged particles. It does have electrons so no I'm just not following here.. Can anyone explain this to me?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Technique simplifies the creation of high-tech crystals
Working group explores the 'frustration' of spin glasses
New analysis of oxide glass structures could guide the forecasting of melt formation in planetary interiors
mfb
Jul26-13, 05:57 AM
Mentor
P: 11,631
Quote Quote by FoundAlaska View Post
Q: "A graduate student tells you that he has observed a Schottky defect in a sample of pure aluminium. Explain why it may take a long time for this graduate student to get his Ph.D"

A: "Pure aluminium has no negatively charged particles, so a Schottky effect can not occur."

So I know a Schottky effect is when both an anion (-) and a cation (+) dissappear together out of a material (both because it has to remain neutral). What I don't understand is why aluminium does not have negatively charged particles. It does have electrons so no I'm just not following here.. Can anyone explain this to me?
Schottky defect or Schottky effect?
Based on your question, probably the defect.

Where do you expect anions or cations in a sample of pure Al, where all atoms are the same?

Aluminium has electrons, of course, but does it have many free electrons moving around?
Hint: What do you see as hall effect?

Register to reply