Register to reply

What happens when we rotate crystal while shooting electrons at it?

by 71GA
Tags: crystal, electrons, rotate, shooting
Share this thread:
71GA
Jul26-13, 05:22 PM
P: 205
I know that if we shoot narrow beam of electrons at the crystal (we don't change the angle) we will get a diffraction of electrons according to the brag's law. Therefore we get minimums and maximums on the screen around the crystal.

Until now we have been dealing with problems where ##\vartheta## (this is an angle between an incoming beam and crystal planes) was constant. It meant that crystal wasn't rotating. To find maximums and minimums we have instead been rotating a sensor around the crystal.

But what would happen if we rotated the crystal? This would mean that we are changing the angle ##\vartheta##! Would minimums and maximums move around the screen or would they only appear and disappear? What is different than before?

A good picture is worth 1000 words.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
A new, tunable device for spintronics
Researchers study gallium to design adjustable electronic components
Gadolinium-based material that can be cooled by varying magnetic field
Simon Bridge
Jul27-13, 01:55 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,873
You can probably work it out just by figuring the conditions for diffraction ... start with the standard youngs interference experiment and see what happens when you rotate the plane bearing the slits.

In electron diffraction experiments, the crystal is usually thin in one direction and thick in the other two - so you get extra effects from the geometry.
71GA
Jul27-13, 02:20 AM
P: 205
This problem i am dealing is in fact quite large and speciffic so i have written it in a homework & coursework section here: http://www.physicsforums.com/showthr...20#post4455920

Register to reply