Agitator Choice: Impeller Design

In summary, the conversation discusses a decision between using a pitched blade turbine and two curved blade turbines or all curved blade turbines for an impeller design in a stirred tank reactor. The goal is to achieve good circulation and phase mixing in a tank with a 30 hP motor and a volume of 14,000 Litres. The fluid in the tank has low viscosity and two immiscible phases with a specific gravity difference of 0.1 gm/cc. The possibility of simulating the system is also mentioned. A helpful link for technical information is also shared.
rollingstein
Gold Member
I've an impeller choice to make for a stirred tank reactor and would love some opinions. Essentially, I've a three level agitator as shown in the sketch I made. RPM is fixed (~85 rpm).

My real choice is only what combination of the two impeller designs I choose. Would you go for a pitched blade turbine in the middle (to provide axial flow) and two curved blade turbines at top and bottom to provide shear? Or all curved?

Any other ideas? I'd love to simulate this too (if this is a feasible proposition for a non-CFD expert). Overall I hope to have good circulation as well as a good phase mixing (i.e. droplet formation)

The fluid isn't very viscous (~10 cP) but has two immiscible phases (Specific Gravity difference ~0.1 gm/cc). Tank holds ~14,000 Litres and has a 30 hP motor.

3G2tbVb.png

PS. If a mod can resize the IMG tag that'd help me! Not sure what attributes it takes.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Have you tried http://www.haywardgordon.com/technical-information2.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
chemisttree said:
Have you tried http://www.haywardgordon.com/technical-information2.htm

Good link! Thanks.

I hadn't tried, no.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is an agitator?

An agitator is a device used in mixing and stirring operations in various industries such as chemical, pharmaceutical, and food processing. It consists of rotating blades or paddles that help to create turbulence and promote mixing of materials.

Why is impeller design important in agitator choice?

Impeller design plays a crucial role in agitator performance as it affects the mixing efficiency, power consumption, and shear rate. The right impeller design ensures proper mixing of materials and reduces the risk of product contamination, while also optimizing the energy efficiency of the agitator.

What factors should be considered when choosing an impeller design for an agitator?

There are several factors to consider when selecting an impeller design for an agitator. These include the properties of the materials being mixed, the desired mixing intensity, the tank size and shape, and the process conditions such as temperature and pressure.

What are the different types of impeller designs for agitators?

The most commonly used impeller designs for agitators include axial flow, radial flow, and tangential flow impellers. Each design has its unique characteristics and is suitable for different mixing applications.

How can the performance of an agitator be improved through impeller design?

The performance of an agitator can be improved through impeller design by selecting the most suitable design for the specific mixing application. This can help to achieve better mixing efficiency, reduce power consumption, and improve product quality.

Back