Selecting magnet to be used along with hall effect sensors.

In summary, the conversation discusses creating a hall effect based position sensor for a DC motor. The arrangement involves placing four hall sensors around the magnetic element and calculating the magnitude and polarity along two axes to determine the angle of the axis accurately. The individual is trying to determine the best type of magnet to use and is searching for a closed form solution to estimate sensor outputs in MATLAB. The conversation also mentions the need for a more complicated calculation to determine position and the possibility of using smaller magnets for an easier but weaker field.
voskos
Hi,
I am trying to create a hall effect based position sensor to be attached onto a DC motor to generate feedback for position control. I am thinking of the following arrangement:

4 hall sensors are placed 90 degrees apart around the magnetic element. Each sensor surface is directed at the axis, so if the magnetic field vector is perpendicular to the surface, the measured voltage is at maximum (or minimum depending on the polarity).

By computing the mangitude (and polarity) along the two axes by measuring the induced hall effect voltage onto the 2 pairs of sensors, I should be able to determine the angle of the axis pretty accurately.

I am trying to determine what type of magnet should I be using. Unfortunately, I skiped class and I have no idea on how to calculate the best possible shape. What I need is the perperdicular component of the magnetic field vector on each of the four sensors to be propoprtional to B * sin(theta) where theta is angle (of orientation on a x-y plane) of the magnet, and therefore the axis.

From what I can gather, I need the direction of the magnetic field line to be proportional to the angle from the axis of the magnet, and the magnitude to be constant at fixed distance. The intent here is to generate a Voltage output that is as much as possible proportional to sin(θ) and cos(θ) on the two axes.

I can only find N50 disc magnets that can fit to the available space.

Is there a closed form solution for the disc shaped magnet`s magnetic field, which I could use to estimate the sensor outputs, say in MATLAB?

I apologize in advance if this has been answered before. I did search, but I was unable to find something

Engineering news on Phys.org
In general, all those magnetic fields are not proportional to anything, and you need something more complicated to calculate the position. Can you measure the field, and make a map of its strength along the axis the Hall sensors will measure?
Small magnets will give an easier, but weaker field.

1. What type of magnet should be used with hall effect sensors?

Hall effect sensors are designed to work with permanent magnets, specifically magnets made from neodymium or ferrite materials.

2. How do I determine the strength of the magnet needed for my hall effect sensor?

The strength of the magnet needed depends on the specific application and the sensitivity of the hall effect sensor. Generally, a stronger magnet will result in a more accurate and stable reading from the sensor.

3. Can any shape of magnet be used with hall effect sensors?

Yes, hall effect sensors can work with different shapes of magnets, such as disc, block, or ring shapes. However, the magnet should be positioned as close as possible to the sensor for optimal performance.

4. Is there a recommended distance between the magnet and the hall effect sensor?

The recommended distance between the magnet and the hall effect sensor will vary depending on the specific sensor and magnet being used. It is best to consult the manufacturer's guidelines for the specific device being used.

5. Can I use multiple magnets with a single hall effect sensor?

Yes, multiple magnets can be used with a single hall effect sensor, but the orientation and distance between the magnets and sensor must be carefully considered to avoid interference and maintain accurate readings.