Combining DMSO & Aromatherapy: Benefits & Effects

• Thread starter eextreme
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the potential effects of combining DMSO and aromatherapy, specifically in terms of absorption through the skin. The participants express concerns about the potential consequences of absorbing certain aromas into the skin, with one suggesting that it could result in a lingering garlic scent. However, it is noted that DMSO has been used for arthritis, although the reason for this is unknown.
eextreme
I've only read a bit into DMSO (Dimethyl sulfoxide) and how one of its property is increasing the rate of absorption of some compounds through organic tissues, such as skin.

What kind of effects could be attain if we were to combine DMSO and Aromatherapy?

I'm mainly looking for possible results if certain aromatic combination were absorbed at a faster rate then usual or through a different medium.

I look forward to your responses.

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Why would you want to absorb aromatherapy through the skin in the first place?

It would make whatever aroma you choose smell (and taste) like garlic. The garlic notes would linger. Sounds like a bad day at the potpourri shop.

Not sure about aroma therapy, i mean, maybe it'd make a really long lasting perfume if you could then excrete the smell after it was absorbed? i'd pass on absorbing chemicals into my skin easily if I'm not sure how it'll affect me.

I have heard of it being used for arthritis though. Not sure why but, I have heard of it.

I would like to provide a response to the idea of combining DMSO and aromatherapy. While DMSO does have the property of increasing the rate of absorption of certain compounds through organic tissues, such as the skin, it is important to note that this property has not been extensively studied in combination with aromatherapy.

There is limited research on the potential benefits and effects of combining DMSO and aromatherapy. One possible effect could be a more rapid and efficient absorption of the aromatic compounds into the body, leading to a potentially stronger therapeutic effect. However, this is speculation and would need to be studied further to determine if this is the case.

It is also important to consider the potential risks of combining these two methods. DMSO is a powerful solvent and can potentially enhance the absorption of toxic or harmful substances. Therefore, caution should be taken when using DMSO in combination with any other substances, including aromatherapy oils.

Furthermore, the specific combination of aromatherapy oils and DMSO would also need to be carefully considered. Some essential oils may not be safe for use on the skin, and combining them with DMSO could increase the risk of adverse reactions. Additionally, the concentration and purity of both the DMSO and the aromatherapy oils would need to be carefully controlled in order to ensure safety and effectiveness.

In conclusion, while there may be potential benefits to combining DMSO and aromatherapy, more research is needed to fully understand the effects and potential risks of this combination. It is important to consult with a healthcare professional before attempting to combine these two methods, and to carefully consider the specific ingredients and concentrations used.

What is DMSO and how does it interact with aromatherapy?

DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide) is a chemical compound that has been used for medicinal purposes, including pain relief and inflammation reduction. When combined with aromatherapy, DMSO can enhance the effects of essential oils by helping them penetrate the skin more deeply.

What are the potential benefits of combining DMSO and aromatherapy?

The potential benefits of combining DMSO and aromatherapy include enhanced absorption of essential oils, increased pain relief and reduced inflammation, improved circulation, and relaxation of muscles and tension.

Are there any potential risks or side effects of combining DMSO and aromatherapy?

While DMSO is generally considered safe when used topically, some individuals may experience skin irritation or allergic reactions. It is also important to use caution when mixing DMSO with essential oils, as some oils may be too strong or irritating when applied topically.

How should DMSO and aromatherapy be combined and applied?

DMSO and aromatherapy can be combined by mixing a small amount of DMSO with a few drops of essential oil and applying it topically to the affected area. It is important to dilute the essential oil with a carrier oil, such as coconut or jojoba oil, before mixing it with DMSO. It is also recommended to do a patch test before using the mixture on a larger area of the skin.

Are there any precautions or considerations to keep in mind when using DMSO and aromatherapy together?

Before using DMSO and aromatherapy, it is important to consult with a healthcare professional, especially if you have any underlying medical conditions or are taking any medications. It is also important to use high-quality essential oils and to properly dilute them before combining them with DMSO. If you experience any adverse reactions, discontinue use immediately and seek medical attention.