Register to reply

Good introductory engineering books

by accioquote
Tags: books, engineering, introductory
Share this thread:
accioquote
Aug1-13, 10:39 AM
P: 31
I'd like to find out the names of well known and comprehensive introductory texts(at the undergraduate level) in electrical engineering, mechanical (and) aerospace engineering.
I'm looking at the something like what University Physics(Sears and Zemansky), Resnick and Halliday are in physics.
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Tiny UAVs and hummingbirds are put to test
Britain to trial driverless cars from 2015
NIST corrosion lab tests suggest need for underground gas tank retrofits
E_Q
Aug3-13, 04:22 AM
P: 15
I would strongly recommend "Structures: Or why things don't fall over" by J.e. Gordon (http://www.amazon.com/Structures-Thi.../dp/0306812835)

Though it doesn't entirely fit your areas (perhaps more civil or material) I loved how Gordon explained a concept then gave several real-world examples where that effect is displayed (e.g. why sausages expand around their circumference, not along their length).
boneh3ad
Aug3-13, 09:15 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,491
You really need to be more specific. There are hundreds if not thousands of separate subjects that comprise the broad class of courses of study that qualify as engineering. Each has it's own set of introductory textbooks. You need to at least give us a particular flavor of engineering or else no one will be able to give you a meaningful answer.

E_Q
Aug3-13, 11:01 AM
P: 15
Good introductory engineering books

What level are you looking for? If you're still doing A-Levels (as am I) then I wouldn't worry too much about the content, just so long as it's a book that stretches your engineering mind.

Engineering Science, Oxford University "At present we do not produce a reading list for students applying for Engineering Science but we encourage you to read any relevant materials which you find interesting. "
Aero51
Aug4-13, 02:24 AM
P: 546
Buy Dover books.
Cheap, rigorous, old fashioned.
accioquote
Aug4-13, 09:50 AM
P: 31
Unfortunately I don't seem to know enough to be specific! I was asking for a commonly used undergrad text in these areas...I'd just like to look at the course material beforehand. I'm going to be a freshman this fall, for reference..

Register to reply