Calculating buckling strength of steel pipe for non-axial load

In summary: In this case, the pipe will fail before buckling.In summary, the subject is trying to calculate the buckling strength of a 33' tall chaotic pendulum. He needs to know how much force different size pipes can take before they buckle. He will need to compute the bending moment and moment of inertia on the pipe, and then compute the sigma value.
sudnak
Hello All,

I am in the process of creating a 33' tall chaotic pendulum, and cannot find any calculations for the buckling strength of pipe. The pendulum swings from side to side, but is stopped as it goes too far one way or another by a limiting cable attached to a sleeve over the pendulum. So, essentially I have a pipe supported on one end and free on the other, and there will be a force applied to the end of the pipe. I need to know how to calculate the amount of force that different size pipes can take before they buckle. The force from the load, calculated at the fixed end of the pipe, is about 2800N. See picture for details. So, what formulas can I use to find this? Would I calculate section modulus and moment of inertia? Thanks for all the help!
pend force 1.jpg

pend force 2.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
sudnak: Ensure d2/t does not exceed 40, and then your steel pipe will not flexurally buckle, where d2 = pipe outside diameter (OD), and t = pipe wall thickness.

Yes, compute moment of inertia (I). Also compute bending moment (M) on the pipe at the cable. Then compute sigma = M*c/I. Ensure sigma does not exceed 170 MPa.

Because you have the cable tensile force, you can compute bending moment M, but you will need the distance from the pivot to the cable attach point, the distance from the pivot to the mass, the mass of the mass, and the angle between a vertical line and the pipe when the cable tensile force is 2800 N.

Last edited:
What is c in your M*c/I?

c = OD/2, where OD is outside diameter of the pipe.

You haven't specified the type of piping material or grade you are using. For ordinary pipe material, the maximum tensile strength is lower than that for ordinary steel (30 ksi for Grade A pipe v 36 ksi for ASTM A-36 steel). I would limit the max. bending stress to 120-125 MPa (18 ksi) to give yourself a reasonable factor of safety.

Awesome, thank you so much for the recommendations, I cannot tell you how much it helps!

Hi, i have some annotations:
- In this case, the kind of stress is bending, not buckling.
- I recommend you to consult the "Specification for Structural Steel Buildings (ANSI/AISC 360-10)": http://www.aisc.org/WorkArea/showcontent.aspx?id=26516 (go to F.8 chapter).

Last edited by a moderator:
mauchitoq: No, sudnak is correctly referring to flexural buckling, as well as bending stress. This was covered in post 2. Recheck, e.g., the subject title of the thread.

Last edited:
nvn: it's true. But in steel structural engineering, buckling usually is about the behavior explained with Euler formula, and not with the stress failure criteria.

What is buckling strength?

The buckling strength of a material refers to its ability to withstand compressive loads without collapsing or buckling under the pressure.

Why is it important to calculate the buckling strength of steel pipes?

Calculating the buckling strength of steel pipes is important because it helps engineers determine the maximum load a pipe can withstand before it fails, allowing them to design structures that are safe and reliable.

What factors affect the buckling strength of steel pipes for non-axial loads?

The buckling strength of steel pipes for non-axial loads is affected by factors such as the material properties of the pipe, the geometry of the pipe, the magnitude and direction of the load, and the support conditions of the pipe.

How is the buckling strength of steel pipes for non-axial loads calculated?

The buckling strength of steel pipes for non-axial loads can be calculated using mathematical equations and formulas that take into account the aforementioned factors and properties of the pipe.

What are some methods for improving the buckling strength of steel pipes for non-axial loads?

Some methods for improving the buckling strength of steel pipes for non-axial loads include using thicker or stronger materials, changing the geometry of the pipe, providing additional support or reinforcement, and reducing the magnitude or direction of the load.