Is it possible for physics contribute to cure disease?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using physics to cure a rare kidney disease and the role of interdisciplinary collaboration in medical science. The speaker also mentions the challenges and limitations of attempting to cure a disease as a hobby and emphasizes the importance of funding and a team of professionals for successful research and development.
rar0308
I'm physics major.
I want to cure some rare kidney disease which someone i know has.
Is it likely that if I pursue to cure this disease, then make some progress?
I think because since this is rare disease, so nobody care. so if i care, I could contribute some.

Biology news on Phys.org
If you find sufficient funding (!) and enough biologists/medical scientists...

There are applications of physics in medicine (medical imaging, cancer irradiation, ...), but I think most diseases are not very physics-related. An education in physics can be useful, but I think it won't be sufficient.

I don't think physics is sufficient too. I would study any subject as it is need.
I'm just curious this is doable problem as a hobby or full time.

I don't know the disease, but cures for diseases usually need a lot of money, and big teams of scientists (with expensive lab equipment) working for years on that. That is certainly not a hobby project, or even a project for one full-time scientist.

Medical science is becoming increasingly interdisciplinary. More than ever new therapies are produced by teams including materials scientists, engineers, all manner of biologists, doctors and even physicists. The latter can contribute primarily through imaging technology but it's not impossible to retrain; I did a masters in regenerative medicine and there were physicists as well as biologists on that.

I will say though that it is pretty much impossible that you will cure a disease as a hobby. It takes teams of trained professionals working full time years and millions of dollars/euros/pounds in funding to get close. And despite what you may see on TV it takes decades of work by thousands of researchers to come up with better treatments for a disease. If you did want to contribute then that is great but be under no illusions that you will be able to strive forth on your own and fix this problem quickly.

Yes, as I recently learned lots of studies regarding porous media are being conducted pertaining to pathogen propagation across filters. It's a very fascinating field if you are into nano fluids.

1. Can physics help in finding a cure for diseases?

Yes, physics can contribute to finding a cure for diseases in many ways. It can help in understanding the underlying mechanisms of diseases, developing new diagnostic tools, and designing efficient treatments.

2. How does physics contribute to medical research?

Physics plays a crucial role in medical research by providing tools and techniques to study biological processes at a molecular level. For example, techniques such as X-ray crystallography and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy allow scientists to study the structure and function of proteins and other biomolecules, which can aid in drug design and disease treatment.

3. Can physics be used to develop new medical imaging techniques?

Yes, physics has been instrumental in developing various medical imaging techniques such as X-rays, MRI, and PET scans. These techniques use physical principles to create images of internal body structures and aid in disease diagnosis and treatment.

4. How can physics help in understanding the human body and its diseases?

Physics has contributed significantly to our understanding of the human body and its diseases. For instance, biophysics, a field that combines physics and biology, uses physical principles to study various biological processes and help in understanding the mechanisms of diseases. Additionally, techniques such as computational modeling and simulation allow scientists to study complex biological systems and predict their behavior under different conditions.

5. What role does physics play in the development of new medical treatments?

Physics plays a crucial role in the development of new medical treatments. For example, radiation therapy, a common treatment for cancer, uses high-energy X-rays to kill cancer cells. Other treatments such as laser therapy and ultrasound therapy also utilize physical principles to target and destroy diseased cells. Moreover, physics is also involved in the development of new drug delivery systems and nanomedicine, which can improve the effectiveness of treatments and reduce side effects.