Register to reply

Question of Obsession

by CubicFlunky77
Tags: obsession
Share this thread:
CubicFlunky77
Aug4-13, 07:32 PM
P: 27
I am a 22 year-old male in the U.S. My fascination (or obsession) for math/computational neuroscience/set-theory/Analysis & Topology topics has reached nearly unprecedented levels in my life to the point of posing a detriment to my personal life (insomnia, pickiness, and periodic rage). I never took differential equations or Calc. III as far as the academic institution's agenda is concerned since I was forced into the med-school track for the conventional 'get-money-while-being-snobby-and-looking-smart" reason. Since this description does not match my life's ambition, I returned to math after reaching my Senior Year as a Bio undergrad. I feel I am on the right path, but the harder I focus on what I wish to pursue the more obsessed I become.

Ex. I thought yesterday was Monday since that was the last time I remembered studying. Then my mom recently told me that I'd been studying consistently for two consecutive weeks for well over 15 hours a day (typically from 11 a.m to 7-9 a.m.; sleeping, then repeating). When I am tired, I do go home after living in my school's math department over the aforementioned time period. As far as time goes, I have completely lost track of it. It is extremely annoying, since I feel that as soon as I start studying I have to stop after what seems to be 3 minutes to me when it has actually been several hours. The only reason I even stop is because I have to eat and sleep to keep going.

When I tell the school psychiatrists/mental health folks they seem to be more surprised at the notion of a black math major than directing their resources and attention towards alleviating the issue.

O.K. So now to my question: Is there a cause for a "mental-issue" concern when I try to solve a problem in D.Eq. such as this:

[itex] \int \frac {1}{y} dy \leftrightarrow \int \frac {1}{1 + x} dx[/itex]

by doing this:

Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Sleep apnea treatment is effective for older people
Social inequalities in salt consumption remain
Everest expedition provides first evidence of effects of altitude on blood pressure
Evo
Aug4-13, 10:00 PM
Mentor
P: 26,541
I suggest that you seek professional help. We cannot help you with something this severe online.

The best of luck to you.
Ryan_m_b
Aug5-13, 07:14 AM
Mentor
P: 5,469
Please please heed Evo's advise and consult a doctor. Losing track of time in such a significant way is not healthy, neither is such obsessive behaviour.

Register to reply