Share this thread:
amcavoy
Apr7-05, 02:30 PM
P: 666
I know in 2-dimensions, the x coordinate is represented by

[tex]x=v_{0}\cos{(\theta)}t,[/tex]

and the y coodinate is represented by

[tex]y=-\frac{1}{2}gt^2+v_{0}\sin{(\theta)}t+h.[/tex]

How would you calculuate the z coordinate if it was rotating around the y axis? For example; a sprinkler.

Thanks for your help.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Step lightly: All-optical transistor triggered by single photon promises advances in quantum applications
The unifying framework of symmetry reveals properties of a broad range of physical systems
What time is it in the universe?
ZapperZ
Apr7-05, 03:05 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,238
Quote Quote by alexmcavoy@gmail.com

How would you calculuate the z coordinate if it was rotating around the y axis? For example; a sprinkler.

Thanks for your help.
I wouldn't use cartesian coordinates system if I were you.....

Zz.
dextercioby
Apr7-05, 03:33 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,927
Who's rotating??

Daniel.

amcavoy
Apr7-05, 04:23 PM
3-Dimensional Projectile Motion

What would you use? Even if there was a better way, I am interested in how it would be defined in rec. coordinates.

Thanks again.
dextercioby
Apr7-05, 04:52 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Are u thinking of a spinning (finite size) projectile wondering through the (viscous,moving,nonisothermal,nonisobaric) atmosphere,in the nonconstant nonhomogenous gravitational field created by a rotating Earth??

Daniel.
amcavoy
Apr7-05, 07:07 PM
I'm thinking of no outside forces besides gravity.
dextercioby
Apr7-05, 07:10 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Anyway,a spinning rigid body is typically discribed by 6 coordinates:the 3 cartesian for the CM (parametrize the body's translation) and the 3 Euler angles (parametrize the body's rotations).

Daniel.
amcavoy
Apr7-05, 07:11 PM
Ok well, I haven't had a physics class before, so what I know is strictly what I have read out of a book (which isn't much). What type of physics class would I learn these types of things in?
dextercioby
Apr7-05, 07:15 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
A college course in classical mechanics in Newtonian formulation.

Daniel.
Notsonutz
Oct10-10, 11:19 AM
P: 2
Quote Quote by amcavoy View Post
I'm thinking of no outside forces besides gravity.
I was also wondering why I can't find a formula for kinetic energy that INCLUDES motion such as rotation or even a variable orbit??? I admit I haven't seen a classroom in 15yrs. So if anyone can update me?
Notsonutz
Oct10-10, 11:23 AM
P: 2
Quote Quote by amcavoy View Post

Thanks for your help.

I'd love to hear your answer on this as I too was wondering why Newtons EK Kinetic Energy does not include rotating or orbital objects. Keep me posted? thanks MJL
Subductionzon
Oct10-10, 03:50 PM
P: 168
How about K = (1/2)Iw^2. Where K is the angular kinetic energy, I is the moment of inertia of the rotating object, and w, it should be omega, is the angular velocity.

If you are trying to analyze the angular kinetic energy of water that leaves a sprinkler I can help you out there. It is zero. Once it leaves the jets it goes in a straight line. If you want to analyze what happens to the water once it leaves the jets it is best done by getting its velocity at the moment it leaves. Then you reduce it to a two dimensional analysis using y = (1/2)at^2 + vtsin(theta) + c, and x = vcos(theta) + d. Where c and d are the initial y and x values and v is the initial velocity.

The energy analysis of the rotating sprinkler is a bit more complex. It all depends on the shape of it and its mass distribution. But from your question I believe that you wanted to analyze the water once it left the sprinkler, I may be wrong.

Register to reply