Promoting Women in Science great, but what about the actual science?

In summary: I wonder what the reason was. Monique, at least you didnt lose your funding because you were too psycho :) I wonder what the reason was. Oh, I want to know as well. I just visited them today and they're not giving any facts, because facts I can rebuttal. I'm backed by the entire department and we'll go to court if necessary. So that's the science I do nowadays, legal affairs.In summary, there seem to be blogs popping up all over the place about women in science. They are a great idea, but there is often a lack of science on such pages making it difficult to get a good picture of what women in science are actually doing.
ChristinaJ
Gold Member
There seem to be blogs popping up all over the place about women in science. They are a great idea. There is often a lack of science on such pages making it difficult to get a good picture of what women in science are actually doing.

I am an accelerator physicist, at this moment working on methods of measuring electron beam emittance in particle accelerators.

I am very interested on what other women on the forum are researching/studying and so am hoping for contributions. The sciencier the better.

Physics news on Phys.org
ChristinaJ said:
There seem to be blogs popping up all over the place about women in science. They are a great idea. There is often a lack of science on such pages making it difficult to get a good picture of what women in science are actually doing.

I am an accelerator physicist, at this moment working on methods of measuring electron beam emittance in particle accelerators.

I am very interested on what other women on the forum are researching/studying and so am hoping for contributions. The sciencier the better.

Hey, welcome fellow accelerator physicist! I'm working on engineering new generation of photocathodes for accelerators to produce higher charge and low intrinsic emittance!

Unfortunately, I'm the wrong gender to contribute to your thread. :)

Zz.

ZapperZ, Thank you for the welcome.

The chances of running into any accelerator physicist, even on a physics forum, are relatively slim, never mind a female one. It seems we are a relatively rare breed.

cj

PS I may be shopping for a new photocathode in the near future so engineer faster :)

Hi again, Christina,

I've an ongoing thread trying to promote accelerator physics to the people in this forum, especially in trying to debunk the myth that "accelerator physics = high energy/particle physics".

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=410271

Hope to get you to participate in the fun!

Zz.

I'm also the wrong gender, but here, in real life, I know two female scientists. One is a Biology post grad, and the other is working on a PhD in GeoPhysics. Both are way too busy to post on PF. The Biology post grad is working on finding out why honey bees are disappearing. The geophysicist is working on earthquakes here in Southern California. Specifically, she's trying to tweak programs that decode satellite images of the area to eliminate atmospheric noise which heavily obscures data from the ground. She says if she can't get this to work, they're pretty much just going to have to remove the atmosphere.

Both of my graduates advisors (physics for M.S., applied math for PhD) were successful tenured women professors holding administrative positions (like department chair).

I'm pioneering an innovative research line in neuroscience and am embedded in a state-of-the-art genetics lab. Unfortunately a major grant was rejected for an unfair reason, I'm fighting to get the decision overturned. I can't discuss the science, that would give away the idea :smile: Well, I can tell you that in genetics people have been solving simple Mendelian disorders, I want to address the missing heritability of complex genetic diseases.

Monique said:
Unfortunately a major grant was rejected for an unfair reason

I wonder what the reason was.

Monique, at least you didnt lose your funding because you were too psycho :)

Turion said:
I wonder what the reason was.
Oh, I want to know as well. I just visited them today and they're not giving any facts, because facts I can rebuttal. I'm backed by the entire department and we'll go to court if necessary. So that's the science I do nowadays, legal affairs.
Aero51 said:
Monique, at least you didnt lose your funding because you were too psycho :)
That has not been established with certainty :smile:

1) How can promoting women in science benefit the field as a whole?

Promoting women in science can bring diversity to the field, leading to a wider range of perspectives and ideas. It can also help to address gender biases in research and improve the overall quality of scientific work.

2) What can be done to encourage more girls to pursue careers in science?

There are a variety of ways to encourage girls to pursue careers in science, such as providing mentorship and support, showcasing successful female scientists as role models, and breaking down stereotypes and gender biases that may discourage girls from pursuing science.

3) How can we ensure that women in science are given equal opportunities for advancement?

To ensure equal opportunities for women in science, it is important to promote and support diversity and inclusion initiatives within institutions and organizations. This includes addressing any biases in hiring and promotion processes, providing resources and support for career development, and promoting work-life balance policies.

4) Are there any specific challenges that women face in the scientific field?

Yes, women in science often face challenges such as gender discrimination, lack of representation and visibility, and a lack of support and resources. They may also face additional challenges related to work-life balance and family responsibilities.

5) What are some successful strategies for promoting women in science?

Successful strategies for promoting women in science include providing mentorship and support, implementing diversity and inclusion initiatives, promoting work-life balance, and actively addressing and addressing gender biases and discrimination within the field. Additionally, highlighting and celebrating the achievements and contributions of women in science can also help to promote their visibility and success.