Having difficulty understanding radicals

The simplest form of ##\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3}## is already given, but ##\frac{\sqrt{2}}{3}## is incorrect. The simplest form is ##\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3}##.The correct way to simplify ##\frac{\sqrt{8}}{3}## is to write it as ##\frac{\sqrt{4}\sqrt{2}}{3}## and then simplify to get ##\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3}##.
MathJakob
I know how the very basics but then I get given a question like this.

##\sqrt{9-3x}## and I think I can divide both by 3. ##3\sqrt{3-x}## and so ##x=3##

Then I get ##\sqrt{4x+12}## and again I can take 4 from each ##4\sqrt{x+3}## and so ##x=-3##

Is this the correct way to be solving these? Because I'm looking down the page and it starts getting real complicated looking, real fast and was just wondering if there is a simple way to go about solving these?

Simplify: ##{\sqrt\frac{9a}{8b^2}}## is the next question I face

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
MathJakob said:
##\sqrt{9-3x}## and I think I can divide both by 3. ##3\sqrt{3-x}##
##\sqrt{9-3x}## is not the same as ##3\sqrt{3-x}##. Consider x=0, for example, and see what you get in the different expressions.

"and so x=3" does not make sense. There is no equality involved in the expressions.

Is this the correct way to be solving these?
To solve anything, you need an equation. something=somethingelse.
There are rules for square roots (more general: rules for exponents) you can use here.

Also here is another one but I'm not sure it's correct:

##{\sqrt\frac{8}{9}}## = ##{\sqrt\frac{8}{9}\cdot{\sqrt\frac{9}{9}}}## = ##{\sqrt\frac{72}{81}}## =## \frac{\sqrt{72}}{9}##

?

MathJakob said:
I know how the very basics but then I get given a question like this.

##\sqrt{9-3x}## and I think I can divide both by 3. ##3\sqrt{3-x}## and so ##x=3##

Then I get ##\sqrt{4x+12}## and again I can take 4 from each ##4\sqrt{x+3}## and so ##x=-3##

Is this the correct way to be solving these? Because I'm looking down the page and it starts getting real complicated looking, real fast and was just wondering if there is a simple way to go about solving these?

The distinction between the root symbol and grouping symbols is that although both are grouping symbols, the root symbol is a function symbol. Inside the root symbol, you can factor one or more common factors from terms, but you cannot necessarily move them outside of the root symbol; because doing so requires that you have great enough count of the factors as indicated by the root index.

[itex]\sqrt{9-3x}[/itex] you can do [itex]\sqrt{3(3-x)}[/itex] but not further.

([strike]All I did was added the proper parentheses for grouping symbol balancing and the typesetting fails. [/strike] [strike]I NEED the paired parentheses in the second expression! [/strike] The typesetting did work but failed while I first made the post and mathematical notation.)

Last edited:
I really want the typesetting to work right but it did not so I do this instead:

(9-3x)1/2 is the same as (3(3-x))1/2 but you cannot go any further.

This is something you will commonly see/use:

##\frac{1}{2} \sqrt{x} = \sqrt{\frac{1}{4}} \; \sqrt{x} = \sqrt{\frac{x}{4}}##
##\sqrt{4x} = \sqrt{4} \; \sqrt{x} = 2 \sqrt{x}##

Also ##\sqrt{54} = \sqrt{9 * 6} = 3 \sqrt{6}##.

These are all explained by replacing each radical with the corresponding exponent, like ##(\frac{x}{4})^{\frac{1}{2}}##.

MathJakob said:
Also here is another one but I'm not sure it's correct:

##{\sqrt\frac{8}{9}}## = ##{\sqrt\frac{8}{9}\cdot{\sqrt\frac{9}{9}}}## = ##{\sqrt\frac{72}{81}}## =## \frac{\sqrt{72}}{9}##

?
That's true but [tex]\sqrt{9}= 3[/tex] so that [tex]\frac{\sqrt{8}}{3}[/tex] would be better. In fact, since [tex]8= 4(2)[/tex] and [tex]\sqrt{8}= 2\sqrt{2}[/tex], the simplest form is [tex]\frac{2\sqrt{2}}{3}= \frac{2}{3}\sqrt{2}[/tex].

1. What are radicals?

Radicals are mathematical expressions that involve a root, typically the square root, of a number. They are represented by the symbol √ and are used to find the value of an unknown number in an equation.

2. Why do people have difficulty understanding radicals?

Radicals can be challenging to understand because they involve complex mathematical concepts such as exponents and irrational numbers. Additionally, the notation used for radicals can be confusing for some individuals.

3. How can I improve my understanding of radicals?

Practice and repetition are key to improving your understanding of radicals. Make sure you have a strong foundation in basic algebra and familiarize yourself with the notation used for radicals. You can also seek help from a tutor or use online resources for additional support.

4. What are some common mistakes people make when working with radicals?

Some common mistakes people make when working with radicals include forgetting to simplify them, incorrect use of the order of operations, and not properly converting between radicals and exponential notation.

5. Are there any real-life applications of radicals?

Yes, radicals have many real-life applications, such as in engineering, physics, and finance. For example, they are used to calculate the square footage of a room, find the distance between two points on a coordinate plane, and calculate interest rates on loans or investments.