Register to reply

Problem on stiffness matrix of beam and deflection of tapered beam

by chiraganand
Tags: beam, deflection, matrix, stiffness, tapered
Share this thread:
chiraganand
Aug12-13, 09:09 AM
P: 56
1.How do i derive the stiffness matrix for a beam with nodal linkage? ie the shear force at the first node is 0 but the usual shear and moment resistance is present for the second node.

I thouth about solving the problem by just putting the first row of the stiffness matrix as 0 . Am i correct? Plee help in this

2. How do i get the deflection of a tapered beam? i have the intertia as a function of x. How do i go about the problem?
I thought of using the the the relation between EI and Moment equation and integrating it. But i a m not sure how to go further. Can someone please help me in this
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
rock.freak667
Aug12-13, 05:16 PM
HW Helper
P: 6,208
Quote Quote by chiraganand View Post
2. How do i get the deflection of a tapered beam? i have the intertia as a function of x. How do i go about the problem?
I thought of using the the the relation between EI and Moment equation and integrating it. But i a m not sure how to go further. Can someone please help me in this
Your moment equation would be

EI (d2y/dx2) = -M

where I is a function of x.

So you'd need to just do

d2y/dx2 = -M/EI

then integrate twice inputting your boundary conditions. This would depend on how your tapered beam is set up.
SteamKing
Aug12-13, 07:12 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,272
1. I am having trouble visualizing your beam and the nature of this 'nodal linkage'. Can you provide a picture?

Register to reply