I am hearing voices

by Aero51
Tags: hearing, voices
Aero51
Aug14-13, 11:57 AM
P: 546
Analogous to visual hallucinations caused by sensory deprivation, http://www.wired.com/wiredscience/20...allucinations/This has happened to me a few times

Does anyone else have these experiences?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Filipino tests negative for Middle East virus
Philippines boosts MERS monitoring after UAE nurse scare
Treating depression in Parkinson's patients
chemisttree
Aug14-13, 12:01 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725
I've got kids. I hear voices all the time.
Aero51
Aug14-13, 12:08 PM
I loled when I read that.

chemisttree
Aug14-13, 12:16 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725

I am hearing voices

...but no beautiful musick.
berkeman
Aug14-13, 12:29 PM
Mentor
P: 39,638
For me it happens when it is pretty quiet, but there is a very soft source of white noise from something. Like it I'm at work on a weekend in my office, and the HVAC is making very quiet noises. Sounds like undefined music or maybe a radio talk show (even though there are no radios around).
arildno
Aug14-13, 01:27 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
From what I've read, it is not that uncommon with either auditory or visual hallucinations. Personally, I have only experienced it when extremely fatigued.
zoobyshoe
Aug14-13, 02:16 PM
P: 5,616
I don't think it's a good idea to seek this experience because you run the risk of having it happen to you involuntarily at a later time when it is not welcome.

Musical hallucinations are sometimes experienced by elderly, partially deaf people, and it is a great irritation to them. Oliver Sacks explains that the auditory cortex of the brain experiences a sort of starvation for stimulation when deafness sets in, and it makes up for this by repeating the firing patterns experienced in the past while hearing music in the background. These people can't control what they hear or when or the volume, and in many cases it drives them nuts.
leroyjenkens
Aug14-13, 02:25 PM
P: 528
Oliver Sacks explains that the auditory cortex of the brain experiences a sort of starvation for stimulation when deafness sets in, and it makes up for this by repeating the firing patterns experienced in the past while hearing music in the background.
I've noticed when I'm in complete silence, like when I was a kid hiding in a closet, I start to hear a high pitched sound.
Evo
Aug14-13, 02:27 PM
Mentor
P: 25,940
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
I don't think it's a good idea to seek this experience because you run the risk of having it happen to you involuntarily at a later time when it is not welcome.
True, the article is not about doing this for "fun". The article is about a controlled study of psychosis induced through extreme sensory deprivation.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19829208
AnTiFreeze3
Aug14-13, 04:25 PM
P: 245
Quote Quote by berkeman View Post
For me it happens when it is pretty quiet, but there is a very soft source of white noise from something. Like it I'm at work on a weekend in my office, and the HVAC is making very quiet noises. Sounds like undefined music or maybe a radio talk show (even though there are no radios around).
This is almost exactly how I would describe it, too.

Although I've only experienced this, oh, probably fewer than 10 times. The most irritating part was that the songs would always be vaguely familiar, so I would become temporarily obsessed with trying to figure out what song I was hearing.

EDIT:

I also had a set of speakers on an old desktop that, when turned off, would produce what I interpreted as human voices, but, even after putting my ears right next to the speakers, I was unable to distinguish any words. The tone seemed very professional.

Although, once I unplugged the speakers, the noises stopped.
256bits
Aug14-13, 09:37 PM
P: 1,260
Interesting.
A television on a non channel with the hshhchchsht white noise has tiny voices sometimes.
Could this be the explaintion about some particular people needing anti-alien and anti-government tin foil hats to hearing a burning bush talk to the explaantion of "so and so told me to do it"?
bobze
Aug15-13, 07:17 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 640
Just a quick note on terminology, if you are misinterpreting a sensory input (like white noise) as something its not, it is an illusion. So an illusion is based on a real external stimuli, it just isn't correctly interpreted.

A hallucination is a sensory experience not based on a real external stimuli.
Pythagorean
Aug15-13, 08:01 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,182
I'm curious, do people in this thread who report audio illusions/hallucinations consider themselves to have a high caffeine intake?
Aero51
Aug15-13, 11:46 AM
Heres a good link
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auditory_hallucination
AnTiFreeze3
Aug15-13, 02:11 PM
P: 245
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
I'm curious, do people in this thread who report audio illusions/hallucinations consider themselves to have a high caffeine intake?
Nope. Most of the occurrences were when I was much younger, anyway, before I even knew how great coffee can be.
StevieTNZ
Aug17-13, 12:20 AM
PF Gold
P: 776
I had audio hallucinations, as well as the feeling the cabinet was falling on top of my bed, when I had tonsillitis. It was the night after the day of a headache not going away where I could not sleep at all.
jim mcnamara
Aug18-13, 02:50 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 1,355
Humans have perception templates. Did you ever see a face or an animal in a cloud? Everyone has. The same thing is true for a broader range of sensory inputs, including sounds.

Our sensory processing is analogous to what radio astronomers do - we employ built in filters which try to make sense of otherwise random-appearing input. Minus FFT's.

So, at night when local background noises are not drowned out by traffic and hustle and bustle from outside, our processors pick up low level noises. Some are actually things we can identify, others may (or may not) get fudged by sensory processing into "speech". Or animal noises.

This kind of background noise has been used to great spooky effect in some scary movies.

Anyway, in: Douglas Hofstader's 'Metamagical Themas' and 'Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid' (1980) -- are the places I first encountered the concept of hard-wired perception templates. Both are probably secondary sources, but I never followed up.
lisab
Aug18-13, 09:20 PM
Mentor
P: 2,915
Quote Quote by jim mcnamara View Post
Humans have perception templates. Did you ever see a face or an animal in a cloud? Everyone has. The same thing is true for a broader range of sensory inputs, including sounds.

Our sensory processing is analogous to what radio astronomers do - we employ built in filters which try to make sense of otherwise random-appearing input. Minus FFT's.

So, at night when local background noises are not drowned out by traffic and hustle and bustle from outside, our processors pick up low level noises. Some are actually things we can identify, others may (or may not) get fudged by sensory processing into "speech". Or animal noises.

This kind of background noise has been used to great spooky effect in some scary movies.

Anyway, in: Douglas Hofstader's 'Metamagical Themas' and 'Godel, Escher, Bach: An Eternal Golden Braid' (1980) -- are the places I first encountered the concept of hard-wired perception templates. Both are probably secondary sources, but I never followed up.
Sensory deprivation has long been observed to trigger hallucinations.

Register to reply