Travel to the Past: Exploring Possibilities with Time Machines and Wormholes

• Thread starter JordanSC5
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Travel
In summary, some scientists have proposed the idea of using wormholes as time machines, but it is not possible to travel back in time to any point before the wormhole became a time machine. Therefore, even if a wormhole time machine were created today, it could not be used to travel to the Roman Empire. Additionally, attempting to travel through a black hole and use it as a bridge to a white hole would result in being torn apart by tidal gravity.
JordanSC5
Assuming (Big assumption I know) you could create a wormhole, and using either of the relativities created the time effect needed to travel in the past, is there any way where the traveler could go beyond the inception of the wormhole. So if we made the time machine today, how could I get to the Roman Empire?

Is the only way through a natural blachole/wormhole and hope I land back on Earth in the past?

Physics news on Phys.org
As far as I know, the definitive paper on using wormholes as time machines is still this one by Morris, Thorne, and Yurtsever:

http://authors.library.caltech.edu/9262/1/MORprl88.pdf

There's a lot there for a short paper, but the key point for your question is that, even if you were able to make a wormhole into a time machine, you couldn't use it to go back in time to any event to the past of when the wormhole first became a time machine. So if you made the time machine today, you couldn't use it to travel back to the Roman Empire.

(Thorne also has a layman's discussion of this in his book Black Holes and Time Warps.)

Likes 1 person
From all my readings that seems to be the consensus. So my next question is that if I want to into the black hole and use it as a bridge to another white hole, will time stop for me (the travelers) once I'm past the event horizon?

Time would continue normally for me the traveler correct? The real problem is not being ripped apart.

JordanSC5 said:
Time would continue normally for me the traveler correct?

Yes. But the relationship between your time and time in the outside universe can get pretty weird.

JordanSC5 said:
The real problem is not being ripped apart.

Yes, tidal gravity is still going to be there, and it will be much too large for any material we're currently familiar with to survive the trip unless the wormhole is extremely large (and the larger the wormhole, the more difficult it is to make it and hold it open in the first place).

I must approach this topic with a critical and analytical mindset. While the concept of time travel is fascinating, it is important to recognize that it is currently only a theoretical possibility and has not been proven to be achievable.

If we were to assume that a wormhole could be created and used for time travel, there would still be many challenges and limitations to consider. One major concern would be the stability and duration of the wormhole. Wormholes are highly unstable and would require an immense amount of energy to keep open for an extended period of time. Thus, it is unlikely that a wormhole could be sustained long enough to travel back to a specific point in time, such as the Roman Empire.

Additionally, even if a wormhole were to be created and sustained, there is no guarantee that it would lead to the desired destination in the past. The laws of physics and the unpredictable nature of time make it difficult to determine the exact location and time period that a wormhole would lead to.

Furthermore, the concept of traveling beyond the inception of the wormhole raises questions about the fundamental principles of time and causality. If one were to travel beyond the inception of the wormhole, they would essentially be altering the past and potentially creating paradoxes that could have unforeseen consequences.

In conclusion, while the idea of using a wormhole for time travel is intriguing, it is important to approach it with caution and skepticism. Theoretical concepts must be thoroughly researched and tested before they can be considered as a possibility. Until then, time travel remains a fascinating topic for scientific exploration and speculation.

1. Can we travel to the past?

Currently, time travel to the past is not possible. According to the theory of relativity, time is relative and can only move forward. Additionally, the laws of physics do not support the possibility of traveling backwards in time.

2. Is there any evidence of time travel to the past?

There is no scientific evidence of time travel to the past. While some people claim to have experienced time travel or have seen evidence of it, there is no concrete evidence that has been verified by the scientific community.

3. How does time travel to the past work?

The concept of time travel to the past is based on the idea of bending or warping the fabric of space-time. This would require immense amounts of energy and technology that is currently beyond our capabilities. Scientists are still exploring theories and possibilities for time travel, but it remains a highly theoretical concept.

4. Are there any paradoxes associated with time travel to the past?

Yes, there are several paradoxes that arise when considering time travel to the past. The most well-known is the grandfather paradox, where a person travels back in time and inadvertently changes an event that would prevent their own existence. This contradiction in causality has been a subject of much debate and is one of the reasons why time travel to the past is currently considered impossible.

5. Will time travel to the past ever be possible?

It is impossible to say for certain whether time travel to the past will ever be possible. Many scientists believe that the laws of physics make it unlikely, but advancements in technology and our understanding of the universe may one day lead to a breakthrough. However, it is important to note that even if it were possible, there would likely be many ethical and practical considerations to address before it could be used responsibly.