How do you find out energy required per day?

In summary: The heat of any process can be measured. What makes measuring energy expenditure different is that it is a more complicated process.
Avichal
Human body needs about 2000-2500 calories per day. How do you find out this number?
What sort of experiments do people do to figure out this number?

Also, in general how do you find things like - energy spent while walking, talking, blinking? It almost seems impossible to find out these things but I find numbers in books.

Biology news on Phys.org
Some things you can try:
- measure the produced heat of the body during those activities (and at rest)
- measure the required oxygen, as this is related to the consumed energy
- measure the required food (long-term measurement)
- use some model of the muscles to find an estimate
- probably some concepts I forgot or do not know

I find it extremely hard to believe that you can actually calculate energy we require for doing activities. There are just too many things involved. Does this actually work?

It is possible to find approximations. The actual power/energy will vary a bit between different persons, details of the activity and other circumstances. And you always have a measurement uncertainty, of course.
It is just interesting how precise those values are. To find some values is easy.

Just for the sake of an example, say I want to calculate energy it takes for an average man to climb 30 stairs (30 steps).
I just calculated using E = m.g.h. Will that be a correct approximation? Why/why not?

It is a lower limit. The human body is far away from 100% efficient.

There will also be other complications like the fitness of the person in question. An unfit person will take longer to return to a basal (resting) metabolic state so in addition to the energy expended climbing the stairs there's the period after characterised by faster heart rate, heavy breathing etc.

How is it different from measuring heat of any process? Technically you just use a larger calorimeter (think thermally isolated room). I believe that's how the early experiments were designed.

What is the recommended daily energy intake for adults?

The recommended daily energy intake for adults varies based on factors such as age, gender, and physical activity level. On average, adult men need around 2,500 calories per day, while adult women need around 2,000 calories per day.

How do you calculate the energy required per day?

The energy required per day can be calculated by considering the individual's basal metabolic rate (BMR), physical activity level, and thermic effect of food. BMR can be estimated using equations based on age, gender, weight, and height. Physical activity level can be determined based on the intensity and duration of daily activities. The thermic effect of food refers to the energy needed for digestion and absorption of food. By combining these factors, the daily energy requirement can be calculated.

What factors influence the energy required per day?

The energy required per day is influenced by various factors such as age, gender, body composition, physical activity level, and health status. For example, younger individuals and those with higher levels of physical activity will require more energy than older individuals and those with sedentary lifestyles.

How does a person's diet affect their energy requirements?

A person's diet plays a significant role in their energy requirements. Different foods provide varying amounts of energy, and a balanced diet is essential for meeting daily energy needs. A diet high in processed and high-calorie foods can lead to excess energy intake, while a diet lacking in essential nutrients can result in inadequate energy intake.

Why is it essential to meet the recommended energy requirements?

Meeting the recommended energy requirements is crucial for maintaining a healthy weight, supporting physical activity and daily tasks, and preventing nutrient deficiencies. Adequate energy intake also plays a role in overall health and wellbeing, as it provides the body with the necessary fuel to function properly.