"Size" of elemetary particles

by Vampyr
Tags: elemetary, particles, size
Vampyr
Aug21-13, 09:08 AM
P: 28
I stumbled upon this nice link showing the universe at different scales: http://htwins.net/scale2/

However, if you scroll down to the attometer scale you get to the elementary particles which have been given sizes. Does anyone know what these sizes mean? I thought elementary particles were dimensionless and so have no strict size.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists consider implications of recent revelations about the universe's first light
Vacuum ultraviolet lamp of the future created in Japan
Grasp of SQUIDs dynamics facilitates eavesdropping
Drakkith
Aug21-13, 09:18 AM
PF Gold
P: 11,056
I'd guess it either refers to something similar to a "classical electron radius" or it uses their wavefunction to determine the volume of space they are likely to occupy and base the size on that.
Bill_K
Aug21-13, 09:18 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,859
Quote Quote by Vampyr View Post
I stumbled upon this nice link showing the universe at different scales: http://htwins.net/scale2/ However, if you scroll down to the attometer scale you get to the elementary particles which have been given sizes. Does anyone know what these sizes mean? I thought elementary particles were dimensionless and so have no strict size.
You're correct. Apparently what he's diagramming here is the Compton wavelength for each particle, ħ/mc. Of the six quarks, the top quark has the greatest rest mass, hence the shortest Compton wavelength. Electron (classical) is the classical electron radius, e2/mc2.

Vampyr
Aug21-13, 03:31 PM
P: 28

"Size" of elemetary particles

Thank you!

Register to reply