Saving the telescope with damaged optics

by Sarsat
Tags: damaged, optics, saving, telescope
Sarsat
Aug22-13, 09:23 AM
P: 10
I have a Celestron NexStar 4SE, I damaged the optics. Is there a company who just sells the telescope without the computerized mount?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
Computers beat brainpower when it comes to counting stars
The changing laws that determine how dust affects the light that reaches us from the stars
ESO image: A study in scarlet
Sarsat
Aug22-13, 09:26 AM
Also with that in mind, can this telescope be used to take pictures of planets
chemisttree
Aug22-13, 03:12 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 3,725
Yes… and yes.

Drakkith
Aug22-13, 03:16 PM
PF Gold
P: 11,006

Saving the telescope with damaged optics

Quote Quote by Sarsat View Post
Also with that in mind, can this telescope be used to take pictures of planets
Sure, just don't expect any amazing pictures. With only 4 inches of aperture your resolution is quite limited.
Sarsat
Aug23-13, 09:19 AM
Does anyone know any specific stores that sell just the 4SE telescope it self? excluding stand and computer mount.
Drakkith
Aug23-13, 11:57 AM
PF Gold
Sorry, I looked around a little bit online but couldn't find any place that sold just the OTA.
How badly damaged are the optics?
dipole
Aug23-13, 04:35 PM
P: 418
Check local astronomy clubs, that is a very common telescope and usually its the mount that breaks, i'm sure theres a ton of OTA lying around.

What exactly did you do to the optics that you think they're busted?
Sarsat
Aug23-13, 05:43 PM
I left it exposed to the Arizona heat for a few months
Drakkith
Aug23-13, 05:46 PM
PF Gold
You anywhere close to Tucson?
dipole
Aug23-13, 05:47 PM
And? What happened as a a result of that? The optics are made of glass and aluminum - they aren't going to be damaged from normal temperatures, even on a hot day.
Sarsat
Aug23-13, 05:52 PM
the lenses are coated, does the heat damage the coating? I see spots when I view any object
Sarsat
Aug23-13, 05:53 PM
It was in Tucson
Drakkith
Aug23-13, 05:57 PM
PF Gold
the lenses are coated, does the heat damage the coating? I see spots when I view any object
Possibly, but I'm not sure. Are you certain it is the optics of the OTA (Optical Tube Assembly) and not the eyepiece that are damaged?

It was in Tucson
Are you still in/near Tucson? If so, there are a few stores in town that might be able to help you.
dipole
Aug23-13, 06:11 PM
Celestron uses what they call "Starbright XLT" coatings for that model, which is a blend of MgF2, HfO2 and TiO2, all of which have melting points well above 1000 degrees Celsius - the coating is not going to be damaged by exposure to temperature in the 100-120 degree F range, which is probably the hottest it could have gotten.

The lenses are probably just dirty, or your particular eye piece is damaged, or the telescope is out of collimation (though I don't see how this would cause spots). I suggest you find a local astronomy club who can teach you how to properly use and maintain your equipment, and can give you tips on cleaning the mirror or lenses if they need be.
Sarsat
Aug23-13, 06:27 PM
That's very interesting information. Thank you
Sarsat
Aug23-13, 06:29 PM
I don't live in Tucson anymore
Drakkith
Aug23-13, 06:34 PM
PF Gold
Honestly if you are seeing spots, and not just general blurriness, that suggests that it may be your eyepiece that is damaged. If the optics were damaged then it should lead to blurred images, not spots. Get a flashlight out and inspect the glass in the front of your telescope and the mirror at the back. See if you can find anything that looks out of place. If you can't, then I doubt your optics are damaged.
Borek
Aug24-13, 03:26 AM
Admin
P: 22,665
For me spots suggest optics is not being destroyed, just dirty. But then my experience is very limited.

Register to reply