Spot a Nova in Delphinus - Bright Mag 6

• Thread starter davenn
  • Start date
In summary, there is currently a nova visible in the constellation of Delphinus. It has been visible for a couple of weeks and is estimated to be around magnitude 6-6.5. It has a yellowish-orange color and is easily visible with binoculars. Despite recent cloudy nights, it is still visible and has not significantly changed in brightness.
davenn
Science Advisor
Gold Member
2023 Award
a heads up for a nova visible at the moment

it has been around for a couple of weeks ... only found out about it today
its in the constellation of Delphinus
link here to a http://www.itelescope.net/sky-alerts/2013/8/15/alert-bright-mag-6-nova-in-delphinus.html

it was brighter a week ago being an easy mag 4 naked eye object
tonite observing it and I estimate it has dropped back to ~ M 6 - 6.5
it has a yellowish-orange colour to it

this is my first nova ... have seen a couple of supernova in the past

cheers
Dave

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Hi gang

the nova is still easily visible, even in 7x50 binoculars

below is a pic that I took tonite, 25th Aug
drove ~ 30 mins north from home to get away from the Sydney city lights

attachment.php?attachmentid=61130&stc=1&d=1377430951.jpg

Canon 5D III, 50mm, f5.6, Exp=30sec , ISO=1000

cheers
Dave

Attachments

• Nova Delphinus.JPG
    Nova Delphinus.JPG
    12.5 KB · Views: 603
Last edited:
I tried finding it, but I was within the Tucson city limits, so the lights made it very very difficult to try to find. I *think* I saw it, but I'm not sure.

I finally got a clear night and managed to find it with my 10x50 binoculars. It does appear to be getting much dimmer than it appeared to be in earlier images. I had to make small asterisms and compare what I saw to a chart to find it. It's getting to the point where it's getting lost in the hundreds of other dim stars around it in the sky.

Hi Goa'uld

I didn't get to see it last nite 27th, was too cloudy ... hopefully tonite if it stays clear

Dave

finally got to view the nova again last nite 30th Aug. after a number of nights of cloudy/hazy night skies

Still sitting around M6.5 +- 0.2 still quite easily visible in the 7x50 bino's

cheers
Dave

1. What is a nova in Delphinus?

A nova in Delphinus refers to a sudden and dramatic increase in the brightness of a star in the constellation of Delphinus. This can occur when a white dwarf star accretes matter from a companion star, causing a nuclear fusion reaction and a temporary increase in luminosity.

2. How bright is a nova in Delphinus?

A nova in Delphinus is typically around magnitude 6 on the brightness scale, which is visible to the naked eye under dark skies. However, the brightness can vary and may be brighter or dimmer depending on the specific event.

3. How can I spot a nova in Delphinus?

To spot a nova in Delphinus, you can use a star chart or a stargazing app to locate the constellation of Delphinus in the night sky. Then, look for any stars in the area with a magnitude of 6 or brighter that were not previously present on the chart or app.

4. How long does a nova in Delphinus last?

The duration of a nova in Delphinus can vary, but typically they last for a few weeks to a few months. After this time, the star will return to its normal brightness level. However, some novae may have multiple outbursts over a longer period of time.

5. How often do novae occur in Delphinus?

Novae in Delphinus are relatively rare events, with only a few occurring each year. This is because they require a specific set of conditions to happen, such as a white dwarf star and a companion star in a close orbit. Therefore, spotting a nova in Delphinus can be considered a special and exciting event for stargazers.