Register to reply

Can a new location make you perpetually sick?

by Pythagorean
Tags: location, perpetually, sick
Share this thread:
Pythagorean
Aug26-13, 10:37 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,262
Ever since my family and I moved to a new country, I notice we've been getting sick a lot. It's not life-threatening and they're common bugs, they're not even bad enough to keep me home from work. Does this mean our like, virus definitions are updating, or something? Or are we just going to be sicker more often in this place than in our home. We're in a way more populated place now and I use public transportation and we have kids going on playdates.

So obviously, I'm getting more exposure. I'm just curious if the immune system eventually adapts to new places like this or if people in some areas just deal with more occurrences of disease.
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Total darkness at night is key to success of breast cancer therapy
Monitoring the rise and fall of the microbiome
Common blood thinner for pregnant women proven ineffective
imabug
Aug26-13, 01:08 PM
P: 345
being in a new place means being exposed to bacteria, germs and virii that you've never been exposed to and your immune system hasn't defended against. after a while, once your body has built up its immunity to the local germs, you'll probably find you're not getting sick as often.
Evo
Aug26-13, 01:09 PM
Mentor
P: 26,426
Probably it's all of the things you mentioned, the more contact you have, the more exposed to contagion you become.

Monique
Aug26-13, 01:21 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 4,642
Can a new location make you perpetually sick?

Is the new country so different from the one you lived in?
Pythagorean
Aug26-13, 02:08 PM
PF Gold
More to do with the differences in city, not country: population, diversity, population density, and population turnover are all higher here.
atyy
Aug26-13, 07:46 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 8,331
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/mace-lab/public...B_Urban_EV.pdf :p
Pythagorean
Aug26-13, 07:48 PM
PF Gold
nice find!
lisab
Aug26-13, 09:57 PM
Mentor
P: 2,974
I know (anecdotally) new teachers have one hell of a time their first year. Constant sniffles and sore throat.
atyy
Aug27-13, 08:03 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 8,331
Do you know it's bugs and not say, an allergy? Austin in Texas is famous for its allergies.
Pythagorean
Aug27-13, 08:22 AM
PF Gold
I think it's a bug because of the affect on digestive systems. Just a hunch, though. We're definitely in farm country and high pollen days aren't much fun for the wife, but they don't seem to bother me much.
Bobbywhy
Sep18-13, 11:26 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,881
I've lived and worked in twelve different countries in Europe, the Middle East, Eastern Asia, and South America. This is anecdotal commentary, and not scientific.

It's common to get stomach/intestinal problems during the first few months in a new country. For instance, Peace Corps told us that it would happen to most volunteers when we arrived "in Country" and that it would gradually diminish. That was correct; all the volunteers in my group suffered the sh*** at first (which got nicknamed "Tehran Trots"), but after a few months and lots of Lomotil, most of us returned to normal. Many say "it's the water!" There seems to be different bacteria in the water at each location, and upon arrival our gut contains only whatever types we started with. I think these different bugs are incompatible, and once our digestive system re-acclimates itself, the problem goes away. This same process I've passed through many times when moving to a different country.
pfuser
Jun28-14, 04:24 AM
P: 2
Hi Pythagorean,

Are you still getting sick quite often? If so, you might be reacting to local toxins in the air, water, foods, or hard goods. They can cause digestive system upset, and/or other symptoms. They can also make allergies worse, but of course so could exposure to a new type of pollen.
Pythagorean
Jun28-14, 07:31 AM
PF Gold
I think you an atyy were right about allergies. It was probably a combination of a bug once or twice but then allergies always. The pollen levels are high this time of year and I'm getting the symptoms. The worst one is the lethargy, ugh!

Register to reply