Register to reply

Looking For a Theory whose entities turned out not to exist

by B100110
Tags: entities, exist, theory, turned
Share this thread:
B100110
Aug27-13, 12:07 PM
P: 7
Hey. I'm currently studying philosophy of physics and was looking around to find something I need. Basically I'm looking through the history of science to find cases where a theory posited entities that were supposed to have existed but failed. In other words, the theory had some true predictions, was somewhat verified and was then rejected because the entities it posited didn't exist.

The main one I'm looking at is the 19th century aether theory. EM radiations are waves. Back then, scientists assumed that since EM radiation is waves then there must be a medium. It was pretty much unfathomable to have waves independent of a medium (I know that currently some scientists posit the space-time continuum as the 'aether', but that's irrelevant for me). Aether was discredited by the Michelson and Morely experiment. My only problem with this is that even though aether was considered somewhat of a necessity back then, I couldn't find any scientist of that time writing about the topic (probably because it was very short lived).

Are there any such theories in physics or chemistry where an entity was indispensable to the theory and then the entity turned out to be false even though the theory has some true predictions?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Animals first flex their muscles
What can 14th century Venice teach us about Ebola and other emerging threats?
Fact or fiction: Which do moviegoers prefer?
AlephZero
Aug27-13, 12:27 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,147
If you want to go a bit further back in time: phlogiston.
SteamKing
Aug27-13, 12:36 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,516
Even further back: Ptolemy and his epicycles.

B100110
Aug27-13, 01:10 PM
Looking For a Theory whose entities turned out not to exist

Thanks. The newer better (Due to the advancement in scientific methodology) but the phlogiston seems to work. Thanks a lot.

If there are any newer ones, please let me know.
dipole
Aug27-13, 03:11 PM
P: 440
Related to the phlogiston, was the caloric theory of heat.
Nugatory
Aug27-13, 04:30 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,713
Quote Quote by B100110 View Post
Thanks. The newer better (Due to the advancement in scientific methodology) but the phlogiston seems to work. Thanks a lot.

If there are any newer ones, please let me know.
In biology, life-force theories were circulating well into the 20th century.
Indeed, they're still animating a fair amount of online crackpottism and quackery today (which may make them hard to research - there's a loy of garbage to plow through).
Bobbywhy
Aug27-13, 04:38 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,906
The "Steady State Theory" and the "Quasi-Steady State Theory" could be examples. Certainly those proposing those theories suggested experiments to prove their theories correct, but, alas, it never happened!
B100110
Aug27-13, 06:31 PM
Quote Quote by Nugatory View Post
In biology, life-force theories were circulating well into the 20th century.
Indeed, they're still animating a fair amount of online crackpottism and quackery today (which may make them hard to research - there's a loy of garbage to plow through).
Doesn't really work because I'm looking for theories, advocated by proper scientists with experimental verification, though later they were falsified because the entities they posit didn't exist. My point in looking at this is to show that scientists test the entities of a theory independently of the theory. A theory could be corroborated over and over, hell, there could great reasons for believing such entities (such as aether). But when attempting to 'observe' (I'm using that term loosely) those entities, we cannot find them.
Nugatory
Aug27-13, 09:03 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
Doesn't really work because I'm looking for theories, advocated by proper scientists with experimental verification, though later they were falsified because the entities they posit didn't exist.
That's going to be a lot harder to find. Of the examples already cited in this thread, aether, phlogiston, and life-force were all conjectured/assumed to exist (with good reason! Even before the notion of "proper scientist" emerged sometime in the 19th century, the players were smart people not given to sloppy thinking or overlooking the obvious) but then didn't make it past the "experimental verification" hurdle.

Of the things already cited in this thread, you could make a case that Ptolemaic epicycles were empirically confirmed but then abandoned.

But mostly you're going to find that once something is experimentally confirmed it stays that way. For example, we know that, despite all its experimental successes on the surface of the earth, in the motion of the planets, in navigating spacecraft and aiming artillery, Newtonian gravity is "wrong" compared to the predictions of general relativity. But that hardly makes Newton wrong or invalidates the centuries of success that we've had with Newtonian gravity.
B100110
Aug28-13, 04:23 AM
That's going to be a lot harder to find. Of the examples already cited in this thread, aether, phlogiston, and life-force were all conjectured/assumed to exist (with good reason! Even before the notion of "proper scientist" emerged sometime in the 19th century, the players were smart people not given to sloppy thinking or overlooking the obvious) but then didn't make it past the "experimental verification" hurdle.
The case of phlogiston and caloric theory of heat were actually experimentally confirmed for a while. Caloric theory of heat was in fact experimentally successful until Rumford.

But mostly you're going to find that once something is experimentally confirmed it stays that way. For example, we know that, despite all its experimental successes on the surface of the earth, in the motion of the planets, in navigating spacecraft and aiming artillery, Newtonian gravity is "wrong" compared to the predictions of general relativity. But that hardly makes Newton wrong or invalidates the centuries of success that we've had with Newtonian gravity.
True, but a case can be made (on a purely theoretical level) that there are extremely small (in fact negligible) corrections to Newtonian mechanics.

But I don't disagree with you. Once an experiment is preformed the results remain. But my point is exactly this, experimental phenomena always are the same, it's the theories that keep getting altered. What we experimentally 'observe' is true. But we can never say that with absolute certainty about our theories.

I just wanted to make the case stronger by finding a theory that was considered very successful until it was abandoned due to an experiment later on that showed the entity not to exist (the caloric, in this case).
arildno
Aug28-13, 11:25 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Remember that theory production always implies a generalization from which deductions can be made that as yet has no empirical verification.

Thus, the possibility exists, within any theory, that those deductions will be proven false, i.e, that the specific generalization made by the theory must be rejected.
SteamKing
Aug28-13, 11:26 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,516
There's this little chestnut from more recent times: N-rays

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N_ray

In all the hoopla surrounding the discovery of X-rays, everyone and their mother was jumping into radiation physics to see who could discover the next big thing in the field. Although some scientists reported the confirmation of N-rays, eventually the whole episode collapsed when a clever observer secretly switched out key parts of the device used to observe the N-rays, and yet the experimenters still reported the presence of these non-extant rays.
B100110
Aug28-13, 11:44 AM
Thanks for the replies. But I think I'm going to use the perturbations in Mercury and Uranus' orbit. Whereas one proved the existence of another planet, another failed to do so even though the predictions for both were pretty similar.
Nugatory
Aug28-13, 02:24 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
Quote Quote by SteamKing View Post
There's this little chestnut from more recent times: N-rays
Hey - good one! thanks, I had completely forgotten that cautionary little tale.
Pythagorean
Aug29-13, 06:54 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,287
not sure if the ether counts as an entity, but an experiment disproved it :)
B100110
Aug29-13, 10:51 AM
Quote Quote by Pythagorean View Post
not sure if the ether counts as an entity, but an experiment disproved it :)
Thanks, but I already mentioned it in my first post. Do you know of any scientists, philosophers writing about it in that time? The only thing I see is the experiments that disproved it. But then again, its appeared and vanished too quickly for any substantial discourse on the topic.
Pythagorean
Aug29-13, 11:03 AM
PF Gold
P: 4,287
Ah, I responded on the title, my apologies.

Huygens was talking about the ether as far back as 17th century.
kith
Aug29-13, 11:56 AM
P: 742
Thanks, but I already mentioned it in my first post. Do you know of any scientists, philosophers writing about it in that time? The only thing I see is the experiments that disproved it. But then again, its appeared and vanished too quickly for any substantial discourse on the topic.
The ether was discussed for a long time. Newton and Maxwell for example wrote about it. Even after the Michelson-Morley experiment, Lorentz developed a sophisticated ether theory which is said to be equivalent to SRT (but of course less elegant).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luminiferous_Aether
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lorentz_ether_theory

Register to reply