OS boot from a USB

by inotyce
Tags: boot
inotyce
Aug28-13, 10:36 PM
P: 41
I would like to buy a USB HDD, e.g http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Transcen...&skuId=3930191
but my experience with USB HDD is limited after one USB HDD (LogicGate) of mine failed to re-operate suddenly and I lost all of my data; and I have never tried out any more USB HDDs since then.

Do you have any advice for me in using a USB HDD to store an OS and have it booted from there ? Like normal lager HDs in most desktop computers ?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
Algr
Aug30-13, 02:09 AM
P: 139
A USB hard drive is invariably an ATA drive of some kind in a case with a USB adaptor. If you know what kind of drive is inside the case, its reliability will be the same in a USB case or inside a desktop case. The only difference is that the extra step of going through USB will likely limit the speed of the drive.

Is this USB 2 or 3? Is it a 3.5 inch drive, or 2.5? If 2.5 or smaller, is it bus powered?
inotyce
Aug30-13, 02:42 AM
P: 41
Quote Quote by Algr View Post
A USB hard drive is invariably an ATA drive of some kind in a case with a USB adaptor. If you know what kind of drive is inside the case, its reliability will be the same in a USB case or inside a desktop case. The only difference is that the extra step of going through USB will likely limit the speed of the drive.

Is this USB 2 or 3? Is it a 3.5 inch drive, or 2.5? If 2.5 or smaller, is it bus powered?
Thank you it is USB 3 (2.5" sold at $89.99)

harborsparrow
Sep2-13, 07:25 PM
P: 322

OS boot from a USB

This will work for Mac's, but for Windows, it is not usually done to try to boot from USB drives.
Algr
Sep3-13, 03:06 PM
P: 139
PCs can't boot from USB? Seriously? I'm actually booting from USB 2 right now due to a busted firewire port. System runs fine, but I assume things could be faster.
harborsparrow
Sep3-13, 04:17 PM
P: 322
I didn't say it wouldn't work--but the USB drive's version of Windows probably only works with that particular CPU and hardware. Whereas with a Mac, for example, you could take it to another computer and still use it to boot from. Given that USB drives are often slower, I would not recommend it as a way to boot Windows.

Register to reply