String Impermanence?

by WillyB
Tags: impermanence, string theory
WillyB
Aug29-13, 09:45 AM
P: 3
Are the strings in M-Theory impermanent, do they decay for example?(I am not a physicist, curious from a philosophical perspective)
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Sensitive detection method may help impede illicit nuclear trafficking
CERN: World-record current in a superconductor
Beam on target: CEBAF accelerator achieves 12 GeV commissioning milestone
analogdesign
Aug29-13, 03:49 PM
P: 367
How could strings decay if they are the fundamental unit of energy? What would they decay into? I would say string theory posits that strings are the bottom of the barrel.
WillyB
Aug29-13, 04:26 PM
Thanks. So, they are not subject to quantum fluctuation?

trimok
Aug30-13, 11:20 AM
P: 8

String Impermanence?

A closed string can separate in 2 closed strings, inversely, 2 closed strings can fusion in one closed string. Idem for open strings. 2 open strings may fusion in one closed string. See : (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:St...teractions.svg)
WillyB
Aug30-13, 02:20 PM
Thanks trimok. For some reason, when you mention the fracturing and melding of loops, the image I have is of the back side of a field. I'm starting to get the (mem)brane terminology. It seems impermanence applies only in the sense that the instance of a string form is constantly evolving. Still, I wonder if the loops themselves ever dissipate energy to the extent they pass out of existence. Perhaps branes pass out of interference in some way.

Register to reply