Register to reply

Was Pangaea the surface of a smaller planet?

by Seraph316
Tags: pangaea, planet, smaller, surface
Share this thread:
Seraph316
Aug31-13, 09:59 PM
P: 5
I feel curious about Earth having one supercontinent in a global ocean; it seems a little lobsided.

Could it be that, once upon a time, Earth was much smaller, and then water was added?

If a small planet was somehow globally deluged (No, not Noah's Ark - millions of years earlier) would the sudden new weight massively compress and lower or even sink some of the land levels, and maybe split the surface - Pangaea - into new continents? If a lot of water broke through and stayed underground while more water at sea level became more ocean, would this result in the planet swelling, and land masses seeming to seperate proportionately, like maps drawn on a swelling balloon? Did water split Pangaea? If so, where did it all come from?

Please tell me if this is possibly a workable scenario. Thanks.

Seraph316.
Phys.Org News Partner Earth sciences news on Phys.org
Simon Bridge
Aug31-13, 10:51 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
P: 12,434
Quote Quote by Seraph316 View Post
I feel curious about Earth having one supercontinent in a global ocean; it seems a little lobsided.
What's wrong with "lopsided"?

Work out how much the Earth would have been "lopsided" by. You'll see it's only a very tiny proportion of the overall radius.

Could it be that, once upon a time, Earth was much smaller, and then water was added?
I think the standard approach has water being in the atmosphere and raining down later - so, "water was added" in that sense. But what's wrong with the water arriving during the accretion and early formation?

If a small planet was somehow globally deluged (No, not Noah's Ark - millions of years earlier)
Your time-frame is still too short. Try replacing "millions" with "billions".

would the sudden new weight massively compress and lower or even sink some of the land levels, and maybe split the surface - Pangaea - into new continents? If a lot of water broke through and stayed underground while more water at sea level became more ocean, would this result in the planet swelling, and land masses seeming to seperate proportionately, like maps drawn on a swelling balloon? Did water split Pangaea? If so, where did it all come from?

Please tell me if this is possibly a workable scenario. Thanks.

Seraph316.
OK - the short answer is "no", it's not a workable scenario.
I can see why you'd look for something dramatic like that if you are thinking in terms of mere million-year timescales though.
D H
Sep1-13, 03:20 PM
Mentor
P: 15,065
Quote Quote by Seraph316 View Post
No.

If a small planet was somehow globally deluged (No, not Noah's Ark - millions of years earlier) would the sudden new weight massively compress and lower or even sink some of the land levels, and maybe split the surface - Pangaea - into new continents?
No.

Please tell me if this is possibly a workable scenario.
It's not.

The Earth has seen a number of supercontinents form and then break up, Pangaea being but the most recent. The supercontinent cycle is easily explained by plate tectonics.

This forum is not the place to expound personal theories. Read our rules. Thread closed.

Register to reply