Speed of Objects

by Physics Novice
Tags: objects, speed
Physics Novice
Sep6-13, 06:48 AM
P: 1
As a stationary object, is it possible to determine the speed of an object as it approaches you? If so, how? ...and with accuracy?

For instance, if I'm standing on the sidewalk, can I determine the speed of a car on the road as it approaches me?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Information storage for the next generation of plastic computers
Scientists capture ultrafast snapshots of light-driven superconductivity
Progress in the fight against quantum dissipation
Nugatory
Sep6-13, 07:02 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 2,951
Quote Quote by Physics Novice View Post
As a stationary object, is it possible to determine the speed of an object as it approaches you? If so, how? ...and with accuracy?

For instance, if I'm standing on the sidewalk, can I determine the speed of a car on the road as it approaches me?
Sure. Around here the traffic police use hand-held radar guns to catch speeders.
CWatters
Sep6-13, 07:27 AM
P: 2,861
Time how long it takes the car to cover the distance between two objects (eg two lamp posts). Later measure the distance between the two lamp posts. Calculate the speed. The accuracy will be limited to how accurately you can measure the time. If the car casts a shadow on the lamp posts as it passes I'd suggest you can get quite an accurate measurement.

DennisN
Sep6-13, 08:03 AM
P: 441

Speed of Objects

Quote Quote by Physics Novice View Post
Some pictures and info to go along with Nugatory's reply: Doppler effect, Police RADAR.

Register to reply