Register to reply

Why myeloid-erythroid ration is 4:1 while more RBC's in blood?

by tarekatpf
Tags: blood, myeloiderythroid, ration
Share this thread:
tarekatpf
Sep9-13, 09:10 AM
P: 138
In the bone marrow, the normal ratio of myeloid and erythroid series cells is 4:1. So, for every erythroid cell, there are four myeloid cells, which gives
But in the circulation, there are almost 1000 times more RBC's than total WBC's ( which also includes non-myeloid WBC's, such as lymphocytes. )

Why is it so?
Phys.Org News Partner Biology news on Phys.org
Healthy humans make nice homes for viruses
Me, my neuroprocessor, and I: Preparing for a hybrid world
Australian mosquito appears in California
SW VandeCarr
Sep9-13, 10:21 PM
P: 2,504
Quote Quote by tarekatpf View Post
In the bone marrow, the normal ratio of myeloid and erythroid series cells is 4:1. So, for every erythroid cell, there are four myeloid cells, which gives
But in the circulation, there are almost 1000 times more RBC's than total WBC's ( which also includes non-myeloid WBC's, such as lymphocytes. )

Why is it so?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bone_marrow

I'm not sure it is so. Myelopoietic cells constitute 56.6% of parenchymal cells while erythropoietic cells constitute 25.6% of such cells. Erythrocytes circulate for about 120 days while leukocytes circulate for about 3-4 days. This may explain part of the perceived imbalance. No teleologic explanation is required for the rest of the perceived imbalance, but it might be that the bone marrow holds a reserve of myelopoietic cells for emergencies.

EDIT: Allowing for the possibility of an error in my addition, it's still clear the ratio is closer to 2:1.

Register to reply