The ratio of the gravitational force between electron and proton

In summary, the conversation discusses the ratio of gravitational force to electrostatic force in the model of an electron orbiting a proton in a hydrogen atom. The correct formula is G*me*mp/(9*10^9 n m^2/c^2)*q1*q2 and the ratio does not change with the radius of the atom.
Richard Ros

Homework Statement

Some of the earliest atomic models held that the orbital velocity of an electron in an atom could be correlated with the radius of the atom. If the radius of the hydrogen atom is 10^−10 m and the electrostatic force is responsible for the circular motion of the electron, what is the ratio of the gravitational force between electron and proton to the electrostatic force? How does this ratio change if the radius of the atom is doubled? Explain {Answer: Fg/Fe = 4.39 x 10-40}.

Homework Equations

fe = (1/4πε0)*(q^2/r^2)
fg = G m^2/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer says Fg/Fe, so I divided fg/fe to get (Gm^2)/((9*10^9)q^2). I tried every different way possible but cannot manage to get the correct answer. Can anyone help me solve this problem, I've been stuck for a long time. I preferred you show me how to do it and how you got to the final answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
What are you using as the masses? One of them would be the mass of a proton; the other would be the mass of an electron.

Maybe my formula is wrong . Do you think this formula would be correct? G*me*mp/(9*10^9 n m^2/c^2)*q1*q2?

Oh never mind. I got the answer. How does the ratio change if radius if atom is doubled?

What do you think - does it look like the formula depends on the radius?

Since the radius isn't included in the formula. I'm assuming it doesn't matter?

Yep.

1. What is the ratio of the gravitational force between an electron and a proton?

The ratio of the gravitational force between an electron and a proton is approximately 1.08 x 10^-39. This means that the gravitational force between an electron and a proton is extremely weak compared to other fundamental forces, such as the electromagnetic force.

2. How does the gravitational force between an electron and a proton compare to the electromagnetic force?

The gravitational force between an electron and a proton is significantly weaker than the electromagnetic force. In fact, the electromagnetic force is approximately 10^36 times stronger than the gravitational force between an electron and a proton.

3. Why is the gravitational force between an electron and a proton so weak?

The gravitational force between an electron and a proton is weak because both the electron and the proton have very small masses compared to other particles. In addition, the gravitational force decreases with distance, so the small size of the electron and proton also contributes to the overall weak force.

4. Does the ratio of the gravitational force between an electron and a proton change?

The ratio of the gravitational force between an electron and a proton remains constant regardless of the distance between them. This is because gravity is a universal force that acts on all objects with mass, regardless of their size or distance.

5. How is the ratio of the gravitational force between an electron and a proton calculated?

The ratio of the gravitational force between an electron and a proton is calculated using Newton's law of gravitation, which states that the force of gravity between two objects is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.