by The Rev
Tags: black, falling, hole
chroot
Apr14-05, 08:56 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,424
If you're not sure what an "event horizon" is, you can rest assured you're not ahead of society. Stay in school, you might learn something.

- Warren
Dragongod
Apr14-05, 09:23 PM
P: 51
That makes no sense buddy. Intelligence isn't measured by how much LABELS you memorize in school or wherever. It's measured by how well you can reason and think logically. If I don't know the LABEL "event horizon" that doesn't mean I can't reason or think better than someone who does. All it means is that either that i heard wrong, misinterpreted someone else, just didn't hear about it, etc.
chroot
Apr14-05, 10:43 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,424
Labels are necessary for communication. Even if you have better reasoning ability than everyone else on earth, it won't matter if you can't communicate with other people.

In any case, you're a small fish in a big pond. Try not to think of yourself as god's gift to physics just yet. At least, not on this site.

- Warren
Dragongod
Apr15-05, 12:01 AM
P: 51
I agree with you completely. :)
Phobos
Apr15-05, 05:33 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,018
Quote Quote by Dragongod
OHHHHHHHH. ok thanx. so what you are telling me is that the event horizon is the distance around the singularity where the escape velocity is equal to the speed of light. and the singularity is exactly how i defined it. Ok cool thanx.
So, once something crosses the event horizon (in other words, it gets too close to the singularity), it has no chance to escape because nothing can go faster than the speed of light. Once that something crosses the event horizon it keeps going and falls into the singularity & is crushed into that point. After that, modern physics can't totally explain what a singularity is...so it's a bit of a mystery. Likely just a dead end although you'll hear speculations of wormholes, etc.

Register to reply