Steel Angle Plastic Section Modulus

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the plastic section modulus about the local axes (x & y) after calculating them for the global axes (n & p). The individual is seeking advice on how to use Mohr's circle to transform the global values to local values, as well as how to handle the fillets (r1 & r2). They mention that they have been able to evaluate other section properties except for the local plastic section modulus, and hope to avoid going back to first principles. The advice given suggests either ignoring the fillets or squaring them off, as they are typically ignored in tabulating elastic properties.
Engineering01
Hi all,

I am after trying to find the plastic section modulus about both local axes (x & y) after having calculated them for the global axes (n & p). Is there a way I can transform global to local using Morh’s circle to evaluate plastic section properties?

Attached is the key diagram I am working to:
ILon6fJ.png

I have been able to evaluate all other section properties locally and globally except for the local plastic section modulus about the x and y axes. I want to avoid going back to first principals in evaluating the plastic section modulus about the rotated local axes because they may cut through the fillets (r1 & r2) which will really complicate things.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm not aware of any such transformation. Either ignore the fillets or square them off. After all, in tabulating elastic properties, especially in the AISC tables, these fillets for angles are ignored anyway.

Likes 1 person

1. What is the definition of "Steel Angle Plastic Section Modulus"?

The Steel Angle Plastic Section Modulus is a measure of the strength and stiffness of a steel angle, specifically in its plastic range (when it has exceeded its yield strength). It is calculated by dividing the moment of inertia of the cross-section by the distance from the neutral axis to the furthest point of the section.

2. How is the Steel Angle Plastic Section Modulus calculated?

The Steel Angle Plastic Section Modulus is calculated by dividing the moment of inertia of the cross-section by the distance from the neutral axis to the furthest point of the section. The formula is Z = I / c, where Z is the section modulus, I is the moment of inertia, and c is the distance from the neutral axis to the furthest point of the section.

3. Why is the Steel Angle Plastic Section Modulus important?

The Steel Angle Plastic Section Modulus is important because it helps engineers and designers determine the load-bearing capacity and deflection of a steel angle. It is a crucial factor in the design and analysis of structures and components made from steel angles.

4. How does the Steel Angle Plastic Section Modulus differ from the Elastic Section Modulus?

The Steel Angle Plastic Section Modulus differs from the Elastic Section Modulus in that it takes into account the plastic deformation of the steel angle, while the Elastic Section Modulus only considers the elastic deformation. This means that the Plastic Section Modulus provides a more accurate measure of the strength and stiffness of the steel angle under high loads.

5. How can the Steel Angle Plastic Section Modulus be used in practical applications?

The Steel Angle Plastic Section Modulus can be used in practical applications such as structural design, analysis, and testing. It can help engineers determine the maximum load a steel angle can withstand before it permanently deforms, and also aid in selecting the appropriate size and shape of steel angles for a given application.