Register to reply

Cursive letters

by BicycleTree
Tags: cursive, letters
Share this thread:
BicycleTree
Apr19-05, 08:45 AM
P: 552
Well, I always write printed d's, a's, and u's with tails on them, just as in the image (you're taught to do it that way when you first learn to print). How do you even write a printed "a" without a tail? My criteria was that if the letter had any extra doodle on it, any extra line not in the printed version, it was excluded from the list. An objective, black-and-white difference, not like "this letter is slightly more tilted than this one so they are different."

I don't know what you mean about cursive d and e being too hard to do.
BicycleTree
Apr19-05, 08:46 AM
Also, most people do not write a sharp horizontal line on the printed e.
Jimmy Snyder
Apr19-05, 09:13 AM
P: 2,179
Quote Quote by BicycleTree
I don't know what you mean about cursive d and e being too hard to do.
When I write a cursive d, the upright is an open loop, similar to the one on the cursive h. In order to get the straight line shown on the d in the image, I would either have to lift my pencil off the paper an put it back down in just the right place, or retrace the line exactly. When I am writing at a reasonable speed, I am unable to do either of these. But if I could, then I could do the h that way too.

When I write a cursive e, there is a leading tail. In order to write the e as in the image, I would have to make sure that the path of the pencil as it loops back traces over the starting point. Again, when I am writing at a reasonable speed, I am unable to get it exactly right, so there is always either a visible tail, or a gap.
BicycleTree
Apr19-05, 09:27 AM
When I write a cursive d, the upright is an open loop, similar to the one on the cursive h. In order to get the straight line shown on the d in the image, I would either have to lift my pencil off the paper an put it back down in just the right place, or retrace the line exactly. When I am writing at a reasonable speed, I am unable to do either of these. But if I could, then I could do the h that way too.
When you print you retrace the d, exactly or inexactly, just as in cursive. Whereas on the printed h you start at the top, like a printed n with a higher stick on the left; you don't start at the bottom and loop up (as in the cursive h).

When I write a cursive e, there is a leading tail. In order to write the e as in the image, I would have to make sure that the path of the pencil as it loops back traces over the starting point. Again, when I am writing at a reasonable speed, I am unable to get it exactly right, so there is always either a visible tail, or a gap.
When you write a printed e there is exactly the same consideration.
Jimmy Snyder
Apr19-05, 09:36 AM
Quote Quote by BicycleTree
When you print you retrace the d, exactly or inexactly, just as in cursive.
I finally figured out what you mean. You are talking about writing block letters cursively.
BicycleTree
Apr19-05, 01:05 PM
Well, I don't know, it's just the way I learned to write them. But perhaps it is too sensitive to variation between people. I posted my print alphabet here:
http://www.physicsforums.com/attachm...achmentid=3211

Truly a work of art.

Edit: you may have to wait awhile until it gets approved.
Jimmy Snyder
Apr19-05, 03:13 PM
I can't see any difference between your block v and your cursive v. Please tell me what the difference is?
BicycleTree
Apr19-05, 03:19 PM
The cursive v has a trail coming off the top right part of it.
Jimmy Snyder
Apr19-05, 04:18 PM
So does the block v. Is there any other difference?
JasonRox
Apr19-05, 06:36 PM
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 2,327
This is a mess.
BicycleTree
Apr19-05, 07:26 PM
Quote Quote by jimmysnyder
So does the block v. Is there any other difference?
No, it doesn't. The printed v is two straight lines, there is no tail coming off the top right. Yes, that's the only difference.
Jimmy Snyder
Apr19-05, 07:37 PM
We can bat this around forever. I can see a little hook in the top right hand corner of your block v even if you can't. How about the a? The block a has two loops in it, but the cursive only has one.
BicycleTree
Apr19-05, 07:54 PM
Sometimes you write the a with 2 loops and sometimes you write it with 1 in both cursive and non-cursive depending on how neatly you're writing. In this case I was writing it with the mouse in Paint, so I didn't have the absolute greatest amount of coordination. The a with a visible second loop and the a with a clean trace-back are both common practice in both cursive and print. There is clearly no hook in that v. The most you could say is that the right edge of the v has a very slight bend to it. A hook would require a sharp corner followed by a dip to the right.

Register to reply