Register to reply

Orbital period of eclipsing binaries

by Sastronaut
Tags: binaries, eclipsing, orbital, period
Share this thread:
Sastronaut
Sep17-13, 11:48 PM
P: 66
based on the data in the table I want to calculate the orbital period of the eclipsing binary but I want to state my answer in equation form so that any observer can predict the times of future eclipses. Does anyone have an idea on how I go about doing that with the given data. I tried to find a standard equation that I can essentially plug my HJDs in to express the period of eclipsing binary. Any ideas would be great. thanks pf.
Attached Thumbnails
WXFVDVMAMCADPV0y0P3bTQQ1 (1).jpg  
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
New mass map of a distant galaxy cluster is the most precise yet
Highest-precision measurement of water in planet outside the solar system
Satellite galaxies put astronomers in a spin
mfb
Sep18-13, 04:44 AM
Mentor
P: 11,576
That doesn't look periodic, unless most (like >90%) eclipses are missing for some reason.

As type of the equation, you are probably looking for something like ##t=T_0 + kT## with an offset T0, a period T and an integer k (numbering the eclipses).
Sastronaut
Sep18-13, 09:32 AM
the data I was given is ment to be practice for myself so that when I am presented with the full data I will be able to process it. could you show me how to plug my HJD into the equation? what does offset mean as far as my data goes? and if T stands for period what does "t" stand for?

Sastronaut
Sep18-13, 02:24 PM
Orbital period of eclipsing binaries

Quote Quote by mfb View Post
That doesn't look periodic, unless most (like >90%) eclipses are missing for some reason.

As type of the equation, you are probably looking for something like ##t=T_0 + kT## with an offset T0, a period T and an integer k (numbering the eclipses).
okay I read a some stuff online and I understand what you saying. the data I was given is spotty and that was intentional. how can I determine T if I do not know my K value given my offset value (To) equals my secondary minimum 48869.627?
mfb
Sep18-13, 03:09 PM
Mentor
P: 11,576
Calculate the time differences, look for something similar to a largest common divisor (not exact, but approximately).
Alternatively, try a Fourier transformation, it might give some interesting results.

If a period T fits, periods T/3, T/5 and so on fit as well - there is no way to resolve that ambiguity, but T is more likely (otherwise you have a very special set of observations).
Sastronaut
Sep18-13, 10:30 PM
I never thought to use Fourier transformation for it....though to be honest that maybe over thinking the problem....I feel that the answer is in front of me I just cant figure it out. I calculated differences in HJDs to see what was the lowest value I could get from the difference moving down the list secondary minimum to secondary minimum. I determined that the lowest orbital period I could get with doing this is 40.913HJD which was calculated by subtracting (49899.744-49858.831)HJD. But I agree with you 100%. there is no way to resolve that ambiguity so im not sure how I will know that the period I calculated is the correct one, and not some multiple of the true period.

Register to reply