amplituhedron: newly discovered mathematical object

by Khashishi
Tags: amplituhedron, discovered, mathematical, newly, object, twistor
Khashishi
Sep18-13, 04:38 PM
P: 832
Is this anything to get excited about? I have no idea what it's about.
https://www.simonsfoundation.org/qua...antum-physics/

Artistís rendering of the amplituhedron, a newly discovered mathematical object resembling a multifaceted jewel in higher dimensions. Encoded in its volume are the most basic features of reality that can be calculated ó the probabilities of outcomes of particle interactions.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Information storage for the next generation of plastic computers
Scientists capture ultrafast snapshots of light-driven superconductivity
Progress in the fight against quantum dissipation
Greg Bernhardt
Sep18-13, 05:03 PM
Admin
P: 8,531
It's beautiful and very exciting!
arildno
Sep18-13, 06:00 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
It must exist because it is so beautiful!

Aero51
Sep18-13, 06:13 PM
P: 546

amplituhedron: newly discovered mathematical object

I guess the next question is "where did this structure come from in the first place?"
kreil
Sep18-13, 07:03 PM
P: 518
This is amazing! Great article link, thanks.
korialstasz
Sep18-13, 07:21 PM
P: 7
You can watch Arkani Hamed give a talk at the SUSY 2013 conference about the Ampllituhedron and how their research led them to its discovery here. It's pretty involved as far as having an in-depth understanding of particle physics and QFT, but it's engaging regardless.

It's a pretty fantastic discovery, that all of the information about scattering amplitudes can be encoded in one geometric object, with no reference to space or time, locality or unitarity (which come out as emergent properties of the geometry). Granted, keep in mind that this model is built on maximally supersymmetric Yang-Mills Theory, and it will take a lot of work to generalize it to more complex QFTs (especially since we have found no evidence to support SUSY), but it looks pretty promising just in the beauty of the theory.
reenmachine
Sep18-13, 07:37 PM
PF Gold
P: 519
Don't know what it is , but it's beautiful.
Greg Bernhardt
Sep18-13, 08:28 PM
Admin
P: 8,531
Here are the slides from SUSY 2013
http://susy2013.ictp.it/video/05_Fri...Hamed_4-3.html
atyy
Sep18-13, 09:19 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 8,004
Why isn't he wearing socks?
Enigman
Sep18-13, 10:07 PM
Best Humor
P: 544
Quote Quote by atyy View Post
Why isn't he wearing socks?
He's copying Albert.
atyy
Sep19-13, 12:18 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 8,004
Quote Quote by Enigman View Post
He's copying Albert.
What a wannabe. But Albert would be pleased if he got rid of unitarity.
jackmell
Sep19-13, 06:27 AM
P: 1,666
I hate to be disagreeable but I feel I must add some sense of sensibility to this dog and pony show.

That picture does nothing for me. It's just some rainbow curvy-looking thing that appears to be missing a piece. Is the actual object a higher-dimensional object and if so then what is the picture representing and I bet a dollar the colors are really not part of the object but just added to make it look pretty.

I request a better explanation of what exactly the geometric object is, and a better illustration of what exactly it looks like. Hold the pretty colors please.
Enigman
Sep19-13, 06:39 AM
Best Humor
P: 544
Quote Quote by Quanta magazine

A sketch of the amplituhedron representing an 8-gluon particle interaction. Using Feynman diagrams, the same calculation would take roughly 500 pages of algebra.
https://www.simonsfoundation.org/qua...antum-physics/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amplituhedron
jackmell
Sep19-13, 06:46 AM
Ok Enigman. Thank you. That is in my opinion much, much better and I can actually see what it looks like in 3D although a nice 3D model that I could rotate would be better. And I did read the link above but I guess I missed that diagram. Sorry.

Also, while we're at it, I don't think it would be too hard to actually create a 3D model of that figure in Mathematica that we could rotate and if so, then we could say, "hey, anybody if you want more than a pretty flat picture of what's happening, PF's got it cus' we know what's happening." So I say we move this thread to the Math and Science software forum and ask someone to do that. No I don't want to do it because I do that stuff all the time and would like someone else to.

Thank you.
ABD EL HAMEED
Sep19-13, 07:07 AM
P: 31
There's so many ways to look at that thing...
jackmell
Sep19-13, 07:27 AM
Oh guys don't you see, don't you see? Someone here has a marvelous opportunity to contribute to humanity. What I would like is for someone to create a Wolfram Demonstration Project that not only draws the amplituhedron accurately in 3D, (with colors if you want) but also gives the user the opportunity to adjust the dimensions of each face interactively (if that is an allowable transformation). And that person would, I suggest, be the first person in the world to write a very nice 3D demonstration on this wonderful, newly created mathematical object.

Just sayin' that's all. :)

Haven't checked the demonstration project but I doubt seriously it's already in there.
ABD EL HAMEED
Sep19-13, 07:34 AM
P: 31
How can it be a mathematical object?
jackmell
Sep19-13, 07:42 AM
Quote Quote by ABD EL HAMEED View Post
How can it be a mathematical object?
Lemme' ask you this hameed, you code? I mean am I the only one in PF that actually likes coding in Mathematica for fun? Keep in mind who ever does this can never be forgotten even in death cus' all we have to do is google them and bam! There it is: first person in the world to create a nice 3D realistic, interactive image of the amplituhedron.

But that's ok, that's alright, no big deal if no one is interested. I got plenty other stuff to do.

Register to reply