Google SketchUp: Free CAD Software for Basic Engineering Modeling

• Thread starter Aero51
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Google
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of free software for CAD and whether or not it would be beneficial to include it on a resume. The experts mention that there are only a few industry-grade 3D modeling packages worth knowing and that AutoCAD is still the best 2D drafting package. They also mention that while Google SketchUp may not be a real industry product, it could still be beneficial to include on a resume with a strong portfolio. Other industry standards like Solid Edge are also mentioned as being useful to have on a resume.
Aero51
I just downloaded this software since it is free and can supposedly be used for CAD. Does anyone have experience with this program for basic engineering modeling? Would it be good to have on a resume? I know how to do 3D modeling in AutoCAD to some extend, but it costs a lot of money to obtain a license, and the free ones last only a year.

Engineering news on Phys.org
In my experience, there are really only five 3D modeling packages that are worth really knowing: Siemens' NX, Dassault Systemes' CATIA and Solidworks, PTC's Creo (formerly PRO/ENGINEER), and to a lesser extent Autodesk's Inventor. The first four are basically industry-grade packages, so you'll run into them a lot. I've seen AutoCAD's 3D modeling a few times, but for drafting I've seen it a lot. It's still the best 2D drafting package out there. CAD licenses cost a lot for sure, but if you're a student, Autodesk gives student copies of Inventor away for free.

I don't think Google SketchUp is something I'd put on a resume. I've tried it and it's not really meant for CAD per se. Like all Google products, it's a product they developed for a while, released it as a beta, then let everyone make up their minds about how they were going to use it. I don't think it will ever be a real industry product (although Trimble thought it was good enough to acquire), so I don't think any potential employers will lend any weight to you being able to use it.

It won't hurt to put it on a resume. It's not really the tool that matters, but how you use it. I certainly second the response before mine, it might not be enough to woo a potential employer, but if you feel that you have created some good stuff in Sketchup and can provide examples in a portfolio, if asked, go for it.

If you know AutoCad and other industry standards that's the kind of stuff that employers will go for.

timthereaper said:
In my experience, there are really only five 3D modeling packages that are worth really knowing: Siemens' NX, Dassault Systemes' CATIA and Solidworks, PTC's Creo (formerly PRO/ENGINEER), and to a lesser extent Autodesk's Inventor.

Not SolidEdge? The synchronous stuff seems useful and novel.

Yeah, I forgot about Solid Edge. Personally, I've never seen it used outside of fairly small companies, but it's good to have on a resume. I do think the Synchronous Modeling option is really useful. NX has it integrated into its package.

1. What is Google SketchUp?

Google SketchUp is a free computer-aided design (CAD) software that allows users to create 3D models for basic engineering and architectural purposes. It is developed by Google and available for both Windows and Mac operating systems.

2. Is Google SketchUp really free?

Yes, Google SketchUp is completely free to download and use. However, there is also a Pro version that offers additional features and tools for a fee.

3. What type of projects can be created with Google SketchUp?

Google SketchUp can be used for a variety of projects, including architectural, interior design, landscaping, mechanical engineering, and more. It is ideal for creating basic 3D models and visualizations.

4. Is Google SketchUp suitable for professional use?

While Google SketchUp may not have all the advanced features of other CAD software, it is still a powerful tool that can be used for professional projects. It is commonly used in the architecture and design industries, as well as by hobbyists and DIY enthusiasts.

5. Can Google SketchUp be used for 2D drafting?

While Google SketchUp is primarily a 3D modeling software, it does have some 2D drafting capabilities. However, it may not be the best choice for complex 2D drafting projects, as it is primarily designed for creating 3D models.