Register to reply

Why is there no fix for Male Pattern Baldness?

by Jamin2112
Tags: baldness, male, pattern
Share this thread:
Jamin2112
Sep19-13, 11:37 AM
P: 909
Crooked teeth? No problem at all. We invented braces to fix that.

Your breasts don't have the size/shape/firmness that you'd like? No problem either.

Acne? Well, Accutane has some notable side effects, but it seems to work extremely effectively. It's a last resort anyhow. There are a lot of natural remedies like changing your diet, getting some sun exposure, visiting the sauna, etc. Almost everyone who has a problem with breakouts eventually figures out how to prevent them.

You're a male in his 20's (or earlier) and you notice your hair thinning/receding? You're ****ed! Nothing feels as helpless as seeing your face become increasingly ugly as your hair slowly but surely disappears.

Is MPB just one of those natural aging processes for which there will never be a real fix?
Phys.Org News Partner Medical research news on Phys.org
Extreme weather kills 2,000 in U.S. each year: CDC
Greater weight gain after early adenotonsillectomy for OSA
Guidelines issued for medical management of kidney stones
Ryan_m_b
Sep19-13, 12:05 PM
Mentor
P: 5,406
Dentistry and cosmetics both employ crude but effective techniques of surgical intervention. This can be done in the case of hair loss with transplants though the effectiveness varies. The problem is that male pattern baldness or androgenic alopecia is the result of complicated changes in the endocrine system. As with any complex system finding a simple way to manipulate it for a desired effect with no side effects is difficult.

There was a spate of stem cell related research earlier on in the century which looked to regenerate hair follicles but it was met with limited success and I've not heard anymore.

As someone in their mid-twenties whose starting to notice a receding hairline this does bother me but it looks like there are no effective treatment methods on the horizon. On the up-side though there is no intrinsic reason why lack of hair automatically equals unattractive. There are certainly styles that can be adopted to pull off a less-hair or even bald look at a young age.
Evo
Sep19-13, 12:19 PM
Mentor
P: 26,485
Some of the sexiest men have shaved heads. Not buzz cuts, shaved. Also, receding hairlines are attractive and manly, Donald Trump's comb over is not.

Jamin2112
Sep19-13, 12:26 PM
Why is there no fix for Male Pattern Baldness?

Quote Quote by Ryan_m_b View Post
On the up-side though there is no intrinsic reason why lack of hair automatically equals unattractive. There are certainly styles that can be adopted to pull off a less-hair or even bald look at a young age.
I dunno. A little bit of hair loss goes a long way in making you more unattractive.

To see an example, look at Paul Ryan. He has a big nose, but his thick, square hairline frames his frame in a way such that his big honker isn't really noticeable. If had a V-shaped, thinning hairline, his forehead and nose would look larger, making him look like a creepy old guy.

Jamin2112
Sep19-13, 12:28 PM
Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Some of the sexiest men have shaved heads.
Some of the fastest distance runners are White. I guess there are exceptions to every rule.
D H
Sep19-13, 12:45 PM
Mentor
P: 15,067
Quote Quote by Jamin2112 View Post
To see an example, look at Paul Ryan. He has a big nose, but his thick, square hairline frames his frame in a way such that his big honker isn't really noticeable. If had a V-shaped, thinning hairline, his forehead and nose would look larger, making him look like a creepy old guy.
As is the case in this photoshopped swap of Joe Biden's and Paul Ryan's hair?

arildno
Sep19-13, 02:23 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Be me. I'm in my early 40's with a full, lush growth. There are a few grey hears unobstrusively tucked behind my ears, so they don't count.
guy3288
Sep20-13, 10:59 AM
P: 10
too much male hormone - there is a medication for it. Try Finasteride 1 mg, it works.
lisab
Sep20-13, 09:25 PM
Mentor
P: 2,979
Quote Quote by Jamin2112 View Post
I dunno. A little bit of hair loss goes a long way in making you more unattractive.

No, no way. Too...just too much. Too much hair, too low hairline, too dark, too dense, does not look natural (even though it probably is).

Quote Quote by Evo View Post
Some of the sexiest men have shaved heads. Not buzz cuts, shaved. Also, receding hairlines are attractive and manly, Donald Trump's comb over is not.
This. Although buzz cuts are OK .

IMO: natural is best.
SteamKing
Sep20-13, 10:14 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 6,334
I don't know why the medical community is wasting time and resources on trivial problems like curing cancer or fighting infectious disease or birth defects when they should be confronting some really superficial issues like MPB.

Maybe that's what's lacking: people refer to the condition as 'male pattern baldness' when they should be referring to 'MPB'. That makes it sound like something which could strike anyone, anywhere, anytime. There could be an MPB Campaign, Walk for an MPB Cure, Raising MPB Awareness campaigns, the wearing of the Steel Gray Ribbon to show your Support to Find a Cure for MPB.
Solcielo L
Sep21-13, 01:30 AM
P: 25
I started losing my hair, receding and thinning in my mid 20's. And while I did distress over it, and still do occasionally, I've learned how to cut and style my hair so that it isn't as noticeable. Until I tilt my head down. In which case, I'm exposed and naked and I feel incredibly self-conscious about it. I'm only in my early 30s now. I think i should find a wife soon before I lose it all. Or marry a beautiful, sexy blind woman.

Anyway, MPB has existed for millennia and there must be a reason for it, evolutionarily speaking. Maybe it's a way to calm younger males from directly competing for females. That was one hypothesis that I read. It indicates maturity and wisdom, from certain Asian cultures. But in Western cultures, being old or looking old is discriminated against.
zoobyshoe
Sep23-13, 12:06 AM
P: 5,625
Quote Quote by guy3288 View Post
too much male hormone - there is a medication for it. Try Finasteride 1 mg, it works.
What if you don't have an enlarged prostate? Does it shrink the OK one you have?
guy3288
Sep23-13, 10:15 AM
i guess you have not googled it at all.BPH is 5mg, for hair growth only 1/5 of that, no side effect as far as i am concerned, been on it >10 yrs.
zoobyshoe
Sep23-13, 12:29 PM
i guess you have not googled it at all.BPH is 5mg, for hair growth only 1/5 of that, no side effect as far as i am concerned, been on it >10 yrs.
How do you acquire it?
guy3288
Sep23-13, 07:44 PM
Quote Quote by zoobyshoe View Post
How do you acquire it?
get a prescription, buy from drug store. The ori Proscar is 3.5x the price of a generic. I used generic, seems equally good. Minoxidil application is another option, but it is messy and oily to apply. i dont like it
zoobyshoe
Sep23-13, 10:10 PM
get a prescription, buy from drug store. The ori Proscar is 3.5x the price of a generic. I used generic, seems equally good. Minoxidil application is another option, but it is messy and oily to apply. i dont like it
By all accounts minoxodil just makes you grow peach fuzz, not real hair. Does the finasteride make you grow real hair?
Dadface
Sep24-13, 02:59 AM
PF Gold
P: 2,011
Enjoy your baldness. The only problem is getting a sunburnt head but the cure is simple. Buy a hat.
nitsuj
Oct15-13, 12:07 PM
P: 1,097
Quote Quote by Dadface View Post
Enjoy your baldness. The only problem is getting a sunburnt head but the cure is simple. Buy a hat.
totally agree! And am starting to feel that sunshine where I hadn't before....actually coldness, like in winter I noticed the lack of insulation most, so buy a toque too!

Register to reply