Blanking on word for kind of convergence of a sum

In summary, the conversation discusses a sum \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} f(n) and the limit \lim_{N\to \infty} \sum_{n=-N}^{N} f(n). The term "principal value" is mentioned, which refers to the (Cauchy) principal value of the series, a well-known concept for integrals and sometimes used for series as well. The term "Fourier" is also brought up.
Office_Shredder
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I have a sum
[tex] \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty} f(n) [/tex]
which I do not want to consider the convergence of in the normal sense, but I want to talk about the limit
[tex] \lim_{N\to \infty} \sum_{n=-N}^{N} f(n). [/tex]

I know that when this limit exists the sum is _____ convergent, or is a _____ sum, where _____ is something like principal, or first order, or perhaps a name like a Dirichlet sum (I'm making these up of course). Does anybody know what the word I am looking for is?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Seems like you want the (Cauchy) principal value of the series. This is a well-known thing for integrals, but I've seen the term used for series too.

micromass said:
Seems like you want the (Cauchy) principal value of the series. This is a well-known thing for integrals, but I've seen the term used for series too.

That is exactly the term I was looking for. See, I knew the word principal was involved somehow :tongue:

Office_Shredder said:
Does anybody know what the word I am looking for is?

Fourier.

The word you are looking for is "Cesàro" convergence. This type of convergence, named after the Italian mathematician Ernesto Cesàro, is a form of summability where the limit of the partial sums of a series is considered instead of the series itself. This allows for a broader range of series to be considered convergent compared to the traditional definition of convergence. Other summability methods include Abel, Borel, and Euler summation.

1. What is meant by "blanking on word for kind of convergence of a sum"?

"Blanking on word for kind of convergence of a sum" refers to a type of convergence in mathematics where the sum of a series approaches a finite value as the number of terms in the series increases. This type of convergence is often used to test the convergence of infinite series.

2. How is this type of convergence different from other types of convergence?

This type of convergence, known as "summability" or "Cesàro summability," is different from other types of convergence such as absolute convergence or conditional convergence. It focuses on the behavior of the sum of a series rather than the individual terms in the series.

3. What are some common examples of series that exhibit this type of convergence?

Some common examples of series that exhibit this type of convergence include the harmonic series, the alternating harmonic series, and the geometric series with a common ratio between -1 and 1.

4. How is the convergence of a series determined using this method?

The convergence of a series using this method is determined by taking the average of the first n partial sums of the series and seeing if that average approaches a finite value as n increases. If the average converges, then the series is said to be Cesàro summable.

5. What are some real-world applications of this type of convergence?

This type of convergence has various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and statistics. It is used to study the stability of systems, analyze the behavior of electrical circuits, and calculate probabilities in gambling and finance.