Register to reply

Steady or non-steady?

by Woopydalan
Tags: nonsteady, steady
Share this thread:
Woopydalan
Sep21-13, 09:33 PM
P: 746
Suppose I am putting a compound A in a reactor where the reaction A → B is occuring. If the concentration of A coming into the tank and leaving the tank are not changing (meaning, the value of C_a in is not the same as C_a out, but C_a out stays the same throughout) and the volumetric flow rate in and out is equal, is the process steady or non-steady?

Since the flow rate in and out are the same, I would think steady state, but since the concentration in is not the concentration out, does that imply non steady?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Research project on accident-avoiding vehicle concluded
Smaller artificial magnetic conductors allow for more compact antenna hardware
Autonomy expert led team in developing "self-flying planes"
Chestermiller
Sep22-13, 10:14 PM
Mentor
P: 5,354
Quote Quote by Woopydalan View Post
Suppose I am putting a compound A in a reactor where the reaction A → B is occuring. If the concentration of A coming into the tank and leaving the tank are not changing (meaning, the value of C_a in is not the same as C_a out, but C_a out stays the same throughout) and the volumetric flow rate in and out is equal, is the process steady or non-steady?

Since the flow rate in and out are the same, I would think steady state, but since the concentration in is not the concentration out, does that imply non steady?
Steady state means that nothing is changing with time at all arbitrary spatial locations.

Register to reply