initial velocity

by Kr.m.h.
Tags: 2d kinematics, baseball, initial velocity
Kr.m.h.
Sep22-13, 08:44 PM
P: 1
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

According to the Guinness Book of World Records, the longest home run ever measured was hit by Roy “Dizzy” Carlyle in a minor league game. The ball traveled 188 m (618 ft ) before landing on the ground outside the ballpark.
Assuming the ball's initial velocity was 52 ∘ above the horizontal and ignoring air resistance, what did the initial speed of the ball need to be to produce such a home run if the ball was hit at a point 0.9 m (3.0 ft ) above ground level? Assume that the ground was perfectly flat.

2. Relevant equations

ΔX=Vicos(θ)T
ΔY=Visin(θ)T+.5aT2
Vx=Vicos(θ)T
Vy=Visin(θ)+aT
3. The attempt at a solution
I know the final velocity in the Y direction will be zero and the final position in the Y direction will also be zero. If I could solve for how long the baseball is in the air I could use the second equation I listed and solve for the initial velocity since the accelration is equal to -9.8m/s2. I'm not completely sure of how to go about solving this problem and I feel like there's something I'm over looking. Any suggestions?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Cougars' diverse diet helped them survive the Pleistocene mass extinction
Cyber risks can cause disruption on scale of 2008 crisis, study says
Mantis shrimp stronger than airplanes
Simon Bridge
Sep22-13, 09:25 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 11,070
You have to use more than one equation. Start by listing everything you know and see if you can combine two equations. Careful: does your equation list account for the projectile (ball) starting higher than were it ends up.

I, personally, solve these questions using v-t graphs.

Register to reply