Register to reply

Geometry of a black hole

by Jd0g33
Tags: black, geometry, hole
Share this thread:
Jd0g33
Sep25-13, 02:52 PM
P: 293
I was watching a documentary about the universe and it claimed that black holes were sometimes as small as 2 kilometers across. Now before this, my general understanding of a black whole was that it had no physical extent in space, that it was just a 1 dimensional singularity, and the black planet looking thing was just where the point of no return started. So if I were sucked into a black hole, would I eventually run into a very dense mass 1 kilometers across or would it just be empty space all the way down to the singularity?
Phys.Org News Partner Astronomy news on Phys.org
A new approach in the search for extraterrestrial intelligence: targeting alien polluters
Lives and deaths of sibling stars
Australian researchers pioneer a 'Google street view' of galaxies
mathman
Sep25-13, 03:24 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 6,030
The 2 km refers to the outside dimension. No one really knows what happens inside a black hole. General Relativity and Quantum thoery don't work together - new theory is needed.
Nugatory
Sep25-13, 03:36 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,420
Quote Quote by Jd0g33 View Post
I was watching a documentary about the universe and it claimed that black holes were sometimes as small as 2 kilometers across. Now before this, my general understanding of a black hole was that it had no physical extent in space, that it was just a 1 dimensional singularity, and the black planet looking thing was just where the point of no return started. So if I were sucked into a black hole, would I eventually run into a very dense mass 1 kilometers across or would it just be empty space all the way down to the singularity?
When people refer to the size of a black hole, they mean the size of the event horizon, the thing you're calling "the point of no return". Classical general relativity does predict that there is a point-like zero-dimensional singularity inside the event horizon at the center, but
- That's just a part of the black hole, not the whole thing. The whole thing is the event horizon and everything inside it.
- We can't very well look inside the black hole to see what's at its center, but it's unlikely that there's really a pointlike singularity. At very small distance scales we have to pay attention to quantum mechanical effects; general relativity doesn't consider these, so its predictions cannot be completely trusted when very large masses are concentrated into truly infinitesimal volumes on the way to becoming a size-zero singularity.

A smallish correction: You said "1 dimensional" above but I assume you meant "zero-dimensional"; a one-dimensional singularity would be a line not a point.

Jd0g33
Sep25-13, 03:40 PM
P: 293
Geometry of a black hole

Quote Quote by Nugatory View Post
A smallish correction: You said "1 dimensional" above but I assume you meant "zero-dimensional"; a one-dimensional singularity would be a line not a point.
Ya that's what I meant :). Thanks for the clarification guys
WannabeNewton
Sep25-13, 04:11 PM
C. Spirit
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 5,407
Kerr black holes have 1D singularities (ring).
94JZA80
Sep27-13, 11:46 AM
P: 119
Quote Quote by WannabeNewton View Post
Kerr black holes have 1D singularities (ring).
so a Kerr BH singularity is not literally a 2D disk, but rather just the 1D curved line that comprises the disk's circumference? since we can't peek inside the EH and look and see the "singularity" directly, do there exist any predictions about the range of diameters of the disk formed by a Kerr 1D singularity? if so, i'm assuming it would depend on the BH mass and spin rate? also, when discussing Kerr BH's, why do we still refer to the "final destination" as a singularity when, if it is truly a 1D ring, it is not composed of a single point, but infinitely many points?
Philosophaie
Sep27-13, 02:00 PM
P: 366
black holes were sometimes as small as 2 kilometers across.
If you look at the way they are formed. They begin with a massive implosion of very large red giant Stars leaving only a small Black Hole as its remnant.
phinds
Sep27-13, 02:34 PM
PF Gold
P: 6,080
I was watching a documentary about the universe and it claimed that black holes were sometimes as small as 2 kilometers across.
There is nothing that inherently limits the size of a black hole. They could exist much smaller than 2KM across (the EH diameter), but the smaller they are the quicker they evaporate due to Hawking Radiation so really small ones wouldn't last long.
Chronos
Sep27-13, 03:56 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,359
The singularities in a Kerr black hole are coordinate singularities. They can be resolved by changing the coordinate system. There is a strong belief a similar solution is possible to eliminate the singularity in a Schwarzschild black hole, although it remains to be demonstrated.
Nugatory
Sep27-13, 04:55 PM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
P: 3,420
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
The singularities in a Kerr black hole are coordinate singularities. They can be resolved by changing the coordinate system
What coordinate transform gets rid of the singularity?
Chronos
Sep27-13, 09:30 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
See http://arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/9803087 for discussion.
Nabeshin
Oct5-13, 01:59 AM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,193
Quote Quote by Chronos View Post
??? This paper seems to be discussing only the coordinate singularities at the horizons, not the physical singularities. It's been obvious for a long time that these are mere coordinate singularities, but the physical singularities cannot be removed by any coordinate transform.
Chronos
Oct5-13, 04:26 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
Agreed. Coordinate transforms do not resolve point singularities as they suffer from infinite curvature, which produces other infinities. Efforts to remove this infinite curvature are being attempted in LQG and AdS/CFT. The Kerr central singularity is rather unique in that there are trajectories that need not pass through a region of infinite curvature. The lure of adding extra dimensions to resolve this singularity, such as in AdS/CFT, is undeniably tempting. Here is a paper some may find of interest: 'Infinities as a measure of our ignorance', http://arxiv.org/abs/1305.2358.

Register to reply