Register to reply

Squaring of vectors in absolute value

by M. next
Tags: absolute, squaring, vectors
Share this thread:
M. next
Sep26-13, 02:09 PM
P: 378
Is |[itex]\vec{a}[/itex]+[itex]\vec{b}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex] equal to the same thing as ([itex]\vec{a}[/itex]+[itex]\vec{b}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex]? And when is it equal to √(a[itex]^{2}[/itex]+b[itex]^{2}[/itex])?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Heat distributions help researchers to understand curved space
Professor quantifies how 'one thing leads to another'
Team announces construction of a formal computer-verified proof of the Kepler conjecture
Mark44
Sep26-13, 02:45 PM
Mentor
P: 21,286
Quote Quote by M. next View Post
Is |[itex]\vec{a}[/itex]+[itex]\vec{b}[/itex]|[itex]^{2}[/itex] equal to the same thing as ([itex]\vec{a}[/itex]+[itex]\vec{b}[/itex])[itex]^{2}[/itex]?
They're the same, assuming the implied multiplication in the expression on the right is the dot product. Otherwise, multiplication of one vector by another is not defined (with the exception of the cross product).
And when is it equal to √(a[itex]^{2}[/itex]+b[itex]^{2}[/itex])?
Tip: You don't need so many tex or itex tags. Your squared vector sum can be written like this:
[itex](\vec{a} +\vec{b})^2 [/itex]
Or instead of the itex tags, you can use ## delimiters at the front and back.
M. next
Sep27-13, 12:40 AM
Thank you for the reply and the tip. But about the √(a^2+b^2)?? My second part of the question?

Astrometry
Sep27-13, 01:41 AM
P: 32
Squaring of vectors in absolute value

Thank you for the reply and the tip. But about the √(a^2+b^2)?? My second part of the question?
That is merely the magnitude of both vectors. Assuming that's what you mean? You were a little unclear on the second part. Think of magnitude as the size or length of those two vectors.
Tanya Sharma
Sep27-13, 02:08 AM
P: 1,315
[itex]\sqrt{a^2+b^2}[/itex] is the magnitude of [itex]\vec{a}\vec{b} [/itex],where [itex]\vec{a}[/itex] and [itex]\vec{b}[/itex] are orthogonal (perpendicular) vectors.
M. next
Sep27-13, 02:09 AM
Okay. Thank you, yes, it is exactly what I meant.

Register to reply